Sunday, May 15, 2022

Birding To Bluebells

 I have been at Rondeau Park this past week camping and birding, with the exception of today.  It was slim pickings for the most part, and very cold due to the constant east winds.  Thursday it started to warm up and by Saturday we finally had a good number of birds flitting through the forest.

Bird radar looked good for some days later in the week, but one could not find much.  Essentially, the birds were motoring on through!  The favourite activity this week with the prevailing east winds, was to watch them fly right over on the west side of the park, at either the marsh trail entrance or at the store.  It is a fun experience, but you have to be quick!  Thursday was the best day, with hundreds of migrants zipping by.  One can only hope for a Blue Grosbeak, Western Tanager, Western Kingbird (some tried!), or anything else.

On Thursday and Friday evenings, I walked out marsh trail to Long Pond, a 10 km round trip.  Thursday was the best day as it was warm and calm.  Rails, bitterns and marsh birds were the theme.

I did get both Sora and Virginia Rail, as well as a King Rail.  The king of rails does nest out there, so one has to be keen on at least hearing one.

At the very end of my walk, I capped it off with a FOY Common Nighthawk!

Friday was windier, but there were more warblers working the low trees and shrubs.

I stayed away from the east side of south point trail for the most part because of the east winds, and spent quit a bit of time on the west side, which I normally do not do.  Most birds were at the far end, so it was a long walk!  It was interesting though.

Osprey out marsh trail

I saw several species of snakes during the week, including this watersnake slithering alongside the trail.


Saturday it was steady, and near the start of south point west, the usual Acadian Flycatchers were on territory.




Various warblers included Mourning, Wilson's and Canada.  The Canada is always a treat to see.



Scarlet Tanagers were numerous on Saturday, but no Hepatic at Rondeau!


Magnolia Warblers were numerous everywhere, as they often are.

The beach accesses to the north of the park were active by mid afternoon, so I went there, avoiding the crowds of birders aimlessly searching other trails.  Nothing special, but a couple of Mourning Warblers were working the tangles.


I was bored by late afternoon Friday, so went outside the park to the Erieau Marsh trail (rail trail).  It was good, as it often is, with warblers and vireos.  I got my first Blackpoll Warbler and Philadelphia Vireo of the year there.

Turtles were also enjoying themselves.  Some Map Turtles were showing well.



Lots of Red-headed Woodpeckers have been in the park.  One day I saw at least eight.  Most do not stay though.



I am sure there are lots of birds yet to come, as we have not seen big numbers this year.

Today, was a change of pace.  Ontario Nature recently acquired another chunk of land at Sydenham River Nature Reserve  in Middlesex County.  The reserve is also in Lambton, but today's event was at the end of Buttonwood Road in Middlesex.

I was a fun affair, with many familiar faces.  The attraction was the official opening of the new section.



We took a tour of the area, and I noted some birds along the way.  Along the road and within the area were numerous Tennessee Warblers, which was an indication of how the migration is going.  We usually get lots of them later in migration!


The "retired" field

Scene past the terminus of Buttonwood


One of my highlights was seeing Virginia Bluebells in bloom.  It is a rare plant and very stunning.






The only butterflies I saw were Juvenal's Duskywing, Cabbage White, Eastern Comma and a FOY Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.

Juvenal's Duskywing

I was hoping to see some odes, but I only saw one go past me and I never determined what it was!  There are some notable ones there, so perhaps later on I will check it out.

Scene in one the many deep ravines




No comments:

Post a Comment