Sunday, January 16, 2022

Here and There January 14-16

 It was too cold to do long walks this weekend, but I got out to various places in search of birds.  Friday I started at Rondeau in dismal weather.  Some sun was forecast all week for Friday, but that never materialized till late in the day.

There was not much to be found, as some birds bailed or were laying low in the cold weather.

After some time at the Park, I headed east to John E. Pearce Provincial Park where I sometimes walk in the winter.  I actually found quite a few birds, including some wintering Long-eared Owls.  Difficult to get a clear view of the four though.


Along the treeline were several birds including a few Tufted Titmouse, Red- breasted Nuthatches, etc.

While there, 12 Sandhill Cranes flew over heading west.  The last couple of days many have been reported heading west.  They bail when the weather gets consistently cold!



On the way home, I toured many backroads but nothing of significance appeared.  It is a rather quiet winter for birds!  My last stop was a short walk at Wilkesport.  At least nine Eastern Bluebirds popped up--a nice surprise.



Saturday I had the notion to head up to north Lambton.  Ausable River Cut CA was birdless!  I moved on to Pinery PP.  P9 is the best area for birds in winter as many people come to feed the chickadees, titmice and nuthatches.








After Pinery, I headed south and stopped at Ipperwash.  It is always hit and miss there as one might hope for finches or Bohemian Waxwings.  Most common bird was American Robin around the MNR parking lot area.

I recorded a conservative 33, but I know many more were farther back in.



I decided to head to Sarnia and look for gulls and ducks there, and along the river.






Although there are lots of Herring Gulls, there are very few white-winged gulls this winter.  Only a couple Glaucous and a couple of Iceland Gulls are around.



More ducks are on the river now that ice is forming.  A Harlequin female has appeared at the south end of Courtright, but in a difficult location.  I did not see it on Saturday.  I suspect it is the long-staying Sarnia bird, since that one disappeared some time ago.

Today, I wanted to see the Greater White-fronted Geese on the Thames River. I arrived at the right time, just before all the geese took flight.  The numbers have varied in the area, but I counted 14.




I was not able to get good photos looking through phragmites, as I did not want to spook the birds.


Some Snow Geese were there as well, but I did not get a good look at the entire gathering of geese before they took off.

Since there was not much to see farther on due to the frozen landscape, I headed up to the St. Clair River.  It was just too nice of a day with clear skies and no wind to pass up.  Unusual for a weekend!  Conditions were perfect along the river today.

With ice now collecting in the river, there are more ducks to be seen, as well as gulls.  Geese are in the thousands.



Redhead is the most common, as we rarely get many Canvasback anymore.





Some Ring-necked Ducks were there as well, but like most of the ducks, they were sleeping.


At the old ferry dock in Sombra, one has to sort through all the Redhead to find the annual hybrid Redhead X Ring-necked.


We have seen up to three in past years.

I stopped by Cundick Park near Stoke's Point but did not see the Blue-winged Teal found by Lars Bouman the other day.  Blue-winged Teal are 'outta here' when cold weather comes, so it is a novelty in winter!

I stopped at various points along the river, and even made three passes for the Harlequin Duck on my way to Corunna.  A no-show, but I know it was there somewhere.

Guthrie Park at Corunna is good in winter, but on a day like this, the gulls were too far out and lighting was very harsh.  I did not linger there, so headed back south.

Lo and behold, I did catch a glimpse of the female Harlequin Duck on my last pass by the location!  There was no chance for a photo though.

One last walk was at Moore WMA.  A few birds were present, and I was finally able to cross the creek.  No Yellow-rumped Warblers this winter, I do believe.  I have been visiting this spot for almost thirty years and this is perhaps only the third winter I have not found those 'butterbutts'!

It is nice to see more seasonable weather, but with no snow.  It can stay cold, but I have no use for a lot of snow!



No comments:

Post a Comment