Monday, December 6, 2021

Merg Mania and Late Least

 This past weekend was somewhat uneventful locally.  It is December, but I thought things were on the quiet side.  Friday I started at Rondeau with a lakewatch.  There was a good duck movement, then the Red-breasted Mergansers kicked in.  It was merg mania!

The previous day, Steve Charbonneau estimated around 55,000.  My estimate was 43,000+, but could have been short.




One wonders where all these come from!  I recall one Tip watch at Pelee where we had around 54,000+.

Later, I checked other areas of the park.  Not really anything to note.



Before leaving the park, I got word that a Least Sandpiper was at Keith McLean C. L. It is unusual to see one in December, but it has happened before.

The Least Sandpiper was seen at some distance, but looked healthy.  A good "winter" bird!

Another stop was at Erieau along the rail trail.  Highlight there, but not unusual, was a female Common Yellowthroat.



A Snowy Owl was on the mudflats.



Saturday I headed north in hopes of seeing something different.  The lake was somewhat quiet, and the wood were certainly quiet!  Highlight at Ipperwash was a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in the woods.


I had hoped to come across some crossbills, but most seem to be staying a bit farther north.  The odd ones are getting through, but not on my watch!

Sunday it was back to Rondeau, but it was basically dead for birds.  Even this Mink was perplexed.


Other stops included McGeachy Pond and Blenheim Lagoons.

Bald Eagle at Erireau


Nothing new seems to be showing up of late, but hopefully something of interest will appear on December 19 for the Blenheim Christmas Bird Count.

Dawn at Dog Beach



No comments:

Post a Comment