Saturday, December 11, 2021

Good "Winter" Birds and More Duck Mania

 Friday, it was down to Rondeau again.  As usual I started with a lakewatch at dog beach as the sun rose on this hazy day.



Gulls have thinned out, so it was mainly ducks to watch.



As usual, Red-throated Loons have increased in numbers.  I counted over 40 in the time I was there.  Hopefully some will be around next Sunday for the CBC!

South point was somewhat quiet.  In the finch department, a couple of Common Redpolls flew over.

It was quite mild, and this Green Frog was out and about.



The campground was interesting in one spot as numerous species of birds were taking advantage of a puddle.




At least ten Yellow-rumped Warblers are wintering in the area, but no other warblers! (yet)



I stopped by Keith McLean C. L. outside the park where a couple of decent "winter" birds are hanging out.  Firstly, the Least Sandpiper seems somewhat content there.  Good thing it will be mild this week.



A couple of days ago, a Nelson's Sparrow was found.  Quite likely it is one that has been there all along, as it was at the back of the big pond where not many birders trek.  It was tough to find, but we did see it.

A number of Savannah Sparrows are working the grounds as well.



It will be nice if these birds stick around and show up on the CBC next Sunday!


Today, on International Mountain Day, I headed down to Point Pelee.  No mountains in our area, but I recall a family trip out west just before I turned 13. (Wish I was into birding then!)


After touring Alberta, we took the train from Calgary through the mountains to Vancouver.  Unfortunately the train was over 3h late getting into Calgary, so much of the ride was during the night!

Anyway, I was at Pelee this morning before the winds really picked up.  The woods were quiet due to the wind, but the Tip was not too bad.  It was duck mania at the Tip!  Tens of thousands of scaup dominated the scene.



White-winged Scoters have descended en masse.  There were at least 1400 around!  Most I have ever seen at one time.



The AlgoCanada was at anchor east of Pelee for some reason.



Maybe some noteworthy duck was out there, but it did not appear on our watch.



Bonaparte's Gulls have been scarce of late, but I found where they hang out!  On my way to Pelee, I stopped by Wheatley Harbour and found 400+.  100% Bonaparte's though!



I stopped on my way back, and nary a bonie to be found!

These three Sandhill Cranes were in Mersea Road 21 fields this morning.


Brutal winds today, so we will see what tomorrow brings....



No comments:

Post a Comment