Sunday, November 7, 2021

Some Other Birding and Notes

 Predictably, it was all down hill from yesterday!  There was not much around today, but I guess we can be happy with some nice weather.  Oddly, it was a full weekend of sun!

The Sage Thrasher showed well today according to all reports from the many birders that ventured from near and afar to see the bird.  Glad it was around for others to see.

Perhaps this bird has been there for some time.  It hides well in the tangles, and not too many people go birding along that trail.

There have been at least 19 previous records of Sage Thrasher in Ontario.  My 1997 bird was the eighth, which attracted hundreds of birders.

Friday I checked out Rondeau and points west.  As usual this time of year, I started with a lakewatch at dog beach.  Winds have not been all that ideal so far this year, but that is the norm as climate change is upon us.

Highlight was a Short-eared Owl.  Just before I arrived  (I have a longer drive, so that is my excuse), Steve saw one come in off the lake.  It landed not far away.  At one point we went to look for it, and sure enough it was found.



We often see them coming in off the lake during fall migration.  I have seen this at Sarnia as well as Rondeau.

After some birding in the park, I went to McLean's, then the Erieau rail trail.  Nothing much to note.

With the day still young, I went further west, ending up at Hillman Marsh.  Along the way, I made a brief stop at the end of Zion Road. Some loons were visible on the lake.  The road here was moved back some years ago, and this photo shows were the road used to be (vanished into the lake!).



Hillman shorebird cell had the resident Trumpeter Swan pair, and seven Sandhill Cranes.




Shorebirds included some Killdeer and three Dunlin.

Today, I went to Rondeau for lack of any other idea.  Lots of gulls and ducks were off dog beach, but nothing of note.  The park was somewhat dead for birds!

This afternoon I felt like going for a walk in the woods up at Reid CA.  Here are some scenes.




I came across one Mourning Cloak in the Lilly Bush.




Maybe this week we will see some Cave Swallows.  'Tis the season!


No comments:

Post a Comment