Friday, November 19, 2021

November 19 Tour: Some "Year Birds"

 For a change in scenery, I headed to north Lambton for a look-see.  There was a stiff west wind so I watched the lake at Ipperwash for a while.  Not a heck of a lot moving.  Quite a few ducks at first, but then it dropped off.  I did see all three scooters scoters.

Landbirds seemed a bit scarce as well, and not much flying over.  I had hoped for some finches, but not to be.

While up that way, I wanted to check the Nauvoo Park trail at the north end of Watford.  I had passed by that spot countless times, and wondered what was there.  It is a nice trail beside the landfill with lots of potential.  The trail actually curves around into town.  Good place for raptors at the landfill area, and certainly Short-eared Owls must be there.

While in the area, I heard that the Cattle Egret was still being seen near London on Franks Lane.  It is a narrow dead end road, but a pasture is near the creek.  I decided to go there since it was an easy drive from Watford east on Road 22 to Vanneck and a little ways down Gainsborough.

I was not able to catch up with any of the Cattle Egrets reported in the last month, so this was my chance to add to the year's list.

The little guy was there upon arrival!



I was just about to leave when I received word of a Townsend's Solitaire at Ipperwash.  Oh heck, might as well go back!  What's another 100 km?

I was a bit confused as to its location, but eventually found it.  Many Lambtonites and others were there when I arrived.  After a short wait, it appeared on the east side of the road.  Atop a tree as they typically pose.



Then it flew to the west side to join some waxwings and robins.




While there a Common Redpoll flew overhead, so at least I got one finch for the day.

The bird was found by James Holdsworth earlier.  I had talked to James in the morning while at Ipperwash.  Should have followed him!  Anyway I did get to see this bird to add to the day's list.

Just over a year ago, we saw another Townsend's Solitaire at Ipperwash!  It is a good area for them and there is much uncovered territory.  There are several records for Pinery, one of which I was co-finder on 9 November 2003.  All November records!

Tomorrow is another day....stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment