Sunday, October 31, 2021

Late October Birding: More Rain But One Golden Day

 It was limited birding as the never-ending horrid weather continued this week.  We have had enough rain to last about two years!

Late Thursday I took a walk along the south shore trail at Mitchell's Bay.  Lots of Canada Geese, but no other geese.  Snow Geese seem to be few and far between this year.

One can always see the Detroit skyline on a clear day.



Friday, it was stationary birding as I tried to watch the lake during the endless rain.  I joined Steve at the end of Antrim Line east of Rondeau.  It seems to be a good spot on an east wind--something to check more often.  The previous day he had some good birds there, including a 'kitty-gull' and a Harlequin Duck.  Those are not seen every year in the Rondeau area!  We did not have anything of note on Friday, and certainly not as much action as the previous day.

I drove around a bit after that, and also stopped at Erieau, which was dead for birds.

I decided to go back to Rose Beach Line and watch from the car as the torrential rain continued.  (Better than sitting at home).  There was quite a bit of movement of Bonaparte's Gulls.  Luckily I did catch sight of a Black-legged Kittiwake!  Although close to the location of the previous day's bird, it most certainly would have to be considered a different bird. There are lots out there.

Here is the view out my car window:



Saturday, I went in the wrong direction!  At least we only had drizzle this day, but still......

I ended up at Ipperwash and Forest and it was just plain dead for birds.  I kept getting alerts of kittywakes and Sabine's Gulls at Pelee to add salt to the wound!

I had hoped for some finches, namely crossbills, but nothing was in the air that day.  Not much on the ground either!  And the lake was virtually birdless.

Today promised to be a better day, as this bright thing in the sky appeared.  It took me a while to remember what it was....the sun!  I went to Point Pelee early in anticipation of a good Tip watch.  There was a lot of action as I teamed up with the Burk's.  

A razorbill was certainly almost out of the question.  There has never been one on Lake Erie as far as I know, but in recent days, many were on Lake Ontario!  It was an invasion!  I have only seen one Razorbill--that at the mouth of the Niagara River.  Seems they cannot get up the falls!

Black-legged Kittiwakes have also been plentiful lately, but I do not know if that is related to the razorbill influx.  We often have kittiwakes this time of year anyway.

While I was looking west in my scope, I caught sight of a 'kitty-gull'.  It was brief but definitive, but I got messed up when a fallen tree branch got in my way.  I then lost sight of it.  Oh well, better than nothing!

There were lots of Common Loons motoring south to the east.  A couple did fly overhead as well.

As things got quiet at the Tip, we left.  I headed up to De Laurier.  Some hawks were moving, so kept my eye to the sky.  While walking the trail, I saw a couple of Red-shouldered Hawks, always nice to see.

After completing the trail, I stood at the parking lot for a long time.  There were lots of Red-tailed Hawks, including a very dark one.  A few more Red-shouldered Hawks passed over, but the highlight was three Golden Eagles.  

This one was interesting as blackbirds were mobbing it!



Earlier, Keith had alerted me from the VC parking lot that a Golden was heading north.  Eventually I set eyes on it.



One thing about Pelee, those at the VC can alert other birders (at De Laurier for example) that something is heading north, or vice versa.



After I left the park, I stopped by Hillman Marsh and walked around the shorebird cell.  I had to take advantage of the rare nice day!

The cell had lots of ducks, but some Sandhill Cranes stood out in the bright sun.



Shorebirds included two Greater Yellowlegs and three Long-billed Dowitchers.  Too distant for a photo though.

I went home via Talbot Trail to Port Alma.  Saw one Golden Eagle along the way, but I probably missed some!  Seemed to be a good day for them.

This Northern Harrier was in a field near Grande Pointe as I neared home.



November is here, and colder weather is around the corner.  And drier weather I hope!  Should be some good birding soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment