Wednesday, October 6, 2021

A Special Viewing and A Visit To MeadowWoods

 Not much to report since my last post since the weather has been unco-operative.  Way too much rain!  The ground is so saturated, there is no place for the water to go in some places.

Back in September, when I was on my little trip, I got word of a hummingbird coming to a feeder in south Chatham-Kent.  Not our usual resident, but a Rufous!  Every year I go on my week off, something of note turns up in Chatham-Kent, and this year was no exception.  Luckily this one stayed.

Word was not widespread due to location, which was not suitable to large crowds.  Unfortunate, but that happens from time to time.  On Friday September 24, I had the opportunity to view the bird.  We saw it immediately upon arrival!




It was an aggressive creature, not letting any Ruby-throated take advantage of the nectar feeders.




Appreciation certainly goes to the homeowner who graciously allowed some visitors to view the bird.  And to Steve Charbonneau for letting us know and arranging for us to see the hummingbird.

Location is rather private, so no public access.

This was only my second Rufous Hummingbird in Ontario.  My first one was in Kingsville on December 1 many years ago.  I was lucky that day, as I was one of the last birders to see the bird.  It was not seen after that date!

This past Sunday, I attended an official event for one of Thames Talbot Land Trust's newest properties.  It was at MeadowWoods, along Gray Line in Elgin County.  Unfortunately, the weather was horrible, but at least the program was under a tent.


I saw many familiar faces, and it was nice to chat with some of them.

There were guided tours after the ceremony, but I did not stay due to the rain and mucky terrain.  I was highly disappointed, as once again the weather did not co-operate.  This is really getting too common!

The property is over 100 acres, some of it woodland, and former farmland which has quickly turned to natural vegetation.  Several ponds have been created to enhance wildlife and plants.

It was purchased by Stan and Anita Caveney of London as a conservation project.  They generously donated the property to TTLT last year.  There is no public access, but tours are arranged from time to time.

Several rare species have been recorded on the property, including odes such as Spatterdock Darner and Comet Darner.

Comet Darner

The area has an interesting history as well, as past settlers utilized the land.  Perhaps in the future I can get a tour of the property when the weather gets its act together!

The Thames Talbot Land Trust has preserved many properties over the years, and is certainly a top-notch organization in my opinion.  While at the ceremony, I picked up a copy of the new booklet that covers the history of the TTLT.






No comments:

Post a Comment