Saturday, July 17, 2021

Ode To Joy in Lambton (And Lambton Leps)

 Once again I headed to north Lambton where the weather is better!  I first stopped at Forest Lagoons to check on the situation there.  As expected, water levels are high and not great for shorebirds.  I hope the levels will drop soon, but if it does not stop raining, they never will!

I then headed up to Ipperwash Beach and walked around that area for quite awhile.  I headed into the Dunes and Swales area via the MNR parking lot, looking for anything.

The Neighbor

Lance-tipped Darner (?)


Bird life was quiet as it usually is there. 

Next stop was Ausable River Cut CA.  I found quite a few Wild Indigo Duskywings.


Northern Broken-Dash

Stream Bluets



By this time, I was anxious to get down to Shetland since the weather finally got its act together.  At the Shetland CA boat launch, we have  good spot to look for odonates, especially some rare ones.

Right off the bat, I found many Blue-ringed Dancers, an imperiled species.





Also here were some Dusky Dancers, a very uncommon species.





My favourite dragonfly was also here, the Royal River Cruiser.



Several other species were here as well.

Variable Dancer

Powdered Dancer
Stream Bluet


Blue-fronted Dancers


Feeling satisfied, I headed west and ended up at W. Darcy McKeough CA.  I was in hot pursuit of Flag-tailed Spinyleg!  It did not take long and I found a single individual. A first for the year, finally.



Just down the road, I stopped by Reid CA for a quick look.  With all the rain the place is flooded!  Never seen it so wet this time of year.

Besides the usual hairstreaks and river cruisers, I did find one Dukes' Skipper.




Tomorrow is the Rondeau butterfly count, a week later than usual.  Should not make much difference, but at least the weather look reasonable.





No comments:

Post a Comment