Monday, June 14, 2021

Sunday Surprises

 Sunday there was not much of a plan, but I started birding in the Rondeau area.  After checking a field or two, I headed down to Erieau rail trail (no pelicans), then passed through Shrewsbury (no good doves!), then one to Keith McLean C. L. (no good egrets).  

Nothing special in those places, but then if you do not look, you never know. 



I also stopped by Blenheim sewage lagoons.  A couple of male Redhead were of note, but they are often there this time of year and into the summer.



For the afternoon, I did have a plan.  I wanted to check things out at Reid CA.  The Indian Hemp was just coming into bloom, which means....hairstreaks!

Upon arriving, I saw my first Appalachian Brown of the year near the gate.



Things just seemed early this year, and I had a very good feeling that I would be seeing a hairstreak or two.  Well, right off the bat I found one!



And indeed it was a Northern Oak Hairstreak.



This is the earliest date by several days...I think the earliest is the 19th.

After viewing this one, I ventured off for almost an hour then came back.  Another Oak Hairstreak awaited me.  There is often some variation in them, and this one was not quite the same to my eyes as the previous one.







It was quite breezy this day, so it was difficult getting good photos, but I managed some.

While there, I again noted the gypsy moth caterpillars.  Unfortunately, it is bad there and not good news where many of the dominate trees are oak.  You can tell just by the sound, as little bits are continually falling.  On the ground you see dropping and pieces of leaves all over.

It was not too bad last year, but this year is terrible.  I wonder how it will affect the "Oak" hairstreaks?





No comments:

Post a Comment