Friday, June 18, 2021

Oak And Tip Update

 Some late day walks produced more Oak Hairstreaks before the sun was too low.  Tuesday I saw one hairstreak.



It was very windy, so it is surprising how well the above photos turned out as it was swaying to and fro!

While walking through the woods, I found this plant which I have not figured out yet.





I also saw my first Long Dash of the year.



Thursday I needed to get out for a walk and managed to see two more Oak Hairstreaks.






A first of year Banded was also visible.



This Tiger Swallowtail was quite fresh.


Blue Dashers were out in full force this week.  One of the more common dragonflies!

female

I saw another Racket-tailed Emerald at work this week, and several more at Reid.

Today, I had no idea what to do, but I went out despite the forecast.  Since weather forecasts are usually wrong, I headed to Point Pelee anyway!  This time of year I like looking for gulls at the Tip.

I slept in a bit too long, but arrived to watch the Tip for about an hour and half before the rain came down.  Guess this was one of the rare occasions they were right!

Quite a bit of activity with gulls.




As well, five American White Pelicans were feeding.  With various states of plumage.




There were at least three Lesser Black-backed Gulls present.  Not unusual, but they are still flagged as rare on eBird!

No other things of note.  I was really hoping for a Black-headed Gull......

The rain was quite intense, so I had to leave the park.  To the north, it looked rather clear, so I guess the weather was along the lake.

Dickcissels were singing east of Wheatley, but I did not look for any others on the way home.

By the time I got home, the sun was out, so I did a bit of bird atlassing along the Snye, upgrading some things.

Tomorrow promises better things!

Eastern Comma


2 comments:

  1. The plant photo might be wild leek? - Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense. There is certainly leek in that location. Never really looked at it at this stage.

      Delete