Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Some Early January Birding

 I have been out to see what around as the dismal weather continues.  Monday it was off to Point Pelee once more before it closes for the deer reduction program tomorrow.

I first checked the west side for the ongoing redpolls.  Two Hoary Redpolls have found a place to stay for some time recently.  Although I eventually found them, I was unable to get decent photos.  Some Common Redpolls were around as well, always scarce within Point Pelee.




Next stop was the Tip where there was an impressive showing of ducks.  All were flybys, but there were hundreds of mergansers, mostly Commons.  White-winged Scoters were around in good number as well.


I checked the Cactus Field and found quite a few birds including Yellow-rumped Warblers and Eastern Bluebirds among others.



On the way out of the park, I stopped at Sanctuary Pond, where there was still some open water.  Northern Shovelers and Gadwall, uncommon this time of year, were present.  As well, some of the usual Mallards and Black Ducks and a few Hooded Mergansers.

I headed home via Gracey Sideroad and veered over to Lighthouse Cove after a failed attempt to find the blackbird flock.  

It can be interesting this time of year, especially when there is ice.  However, as the mild winter continues, there was none!  Often we get lingering birds such as Great Blue Herons and Double-crested Cormorants here in winter.  The Cove was almost devoid of birds, so I went over Jeannette's Creek where one can go to the boat launch at the river. 

Cormorants on a Log

Here, I found one of the target birds, a Great Egret!  On January 2, Ken Burrell reported two at Lighthouse Cove which were probably around the day before on the CBC.  They were on the C-K side of the river though for him.

I saw the one on the marina property which is actually in Essex.  The borders get dicey around here, but it was indeed in Essex, albeit a distance.



Nearer home, I spotted at least five Snowy Owls in the usual area south of Mitchell's Bay.  They were far out in the field, as they often are.



Tuesday the usual weather continued.  It would be nice to see this end as it has been around about two months!

I went along the St. Clair River, seeing very little. It is probably the "quietest" I have ever seen the river for this time of year.  Climate change sure has made a difference!

It was too early in the day to see many gulls at Guthrie Park.  Later in the afternoon is better, but it would be even better if we had ice.  A couple of Glaucous Gulls were evident.


The rest of the day was a bit of a write-off as there was not much out there.

Today I decided Rondeau needed a visit.  As usual the weather forecast was wrong yet again....still no sun!  There was even a bit of fog and light wet snow which was not on the radar either.

I did my usual route starting at south point trail.  The lake was dead calm and virtually no birds on it.  I did see one Red-throated Loon.  Obviously a couple of days ago was better when about 200 were on the lake!  

There has been even more severe erosion along south point.  Soon the shoreline will be at the trail which used to be well inland.  As the shoreline recedes, structures from the past are revealed.



At the "washout" which was even more washed out, the bird of the day was hopping around.  An American Pipit!  Not often they are seen in January around here.


It was dragging its right wing, but was still able to fly.



I checked the campground before leaving.  Most birds were at the north end, but seemed to fly in while I was there.  Many juncos were on the move, and I caught sight of one Chipping Sparrow.  Could have been other things, but they were moving quickly.

I also found the standard Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.


It was on its favourite tree, which we call the "sapsucker tree".


A couple of Yellow-rumped Warblers were roaming the campground as well.

Photos were not good today, but with the gloomy weather that is the way it will be.

I had enough of the damp weather after the campground walk, so headed home.

This afternoon I made a quick run out to Stewart Wetland.  Timing was just right, as the 100+ Sandhills Cranes were heading back to Michigan for the night!


No comments:

Post a Comment