Monday, October 12, 2020

More Thanksgiving Weekend Birding


 

Sunday I decided to head in a northerly direction.  It was a cool, clear and crisp morning, so I thought it might be interesting along Lake Huron.  However, not much was moving!  Good days are ahead though.

I started at Forest Lagoons, which is an excellent birding location.  Recently, Hudsonian Godwits have been reported there.  At least one has been seen consistently, but three were reported late Friday.  I arrived as the sun was rising, so lighting was not good, but three "hudwits" were present!



They soon took off, leaving a single bird.  Not sure where they go!

I saw the one last weekend, which was a good bird for Lambton.  I had only seen two before in the county, that being way back in August 1990!  Both were at Wawanosh Wetlands when it was excellent for shorebirds.

I then went up to Ipperwash Beach to look at the lake and walk the trails.  Not much was moving on the lake even thought it was a cool NE wind.  Highlight was a Red-necked Grebe, expected at this time of year.

I walked the MNR parking lot area and then the long trail at Dunes and Swales.  There was not much to add.  I thought perhaps there would be some flyover finches, but there was not.  Some are on the move, as we have had lots of Pine Siskins.  Redpolls are on the way, and Evening Grosbeaks should be seen soon as well.  Even crossbills can show up at any time, but we may not see any this winter.



On the way home, I stopped by Wilkesport, then Peers.  Both had lots of siskins.  Highlight at Peers was a "Yellow" Palm Warbler, the eastern counterpart of our more common regular Palm Warbler.  I usually see at least one of these every year.  It is the second I have recorded at Peers over the years.



Today, I slid down to Rondeau Park as a stiff SE wind was blowing.  Just before arriving at the park, at New Scotland some birds were along the road.  A tardy Common Nighthawk was in view, and then perhaps another a couple of seconds later.  Shortly after, some bird hit my windshield.  Not sure what it was!

A lakewatch started the day, but as usual, nothing of note showed as I joined Steve and Craig at the beach.  One of these days......



I walked south point trail.  Lots of Blackpoll and Yellow-rumped Warblers were around and the only other warbler noted was Northern Parula.  That was all I did in the park.

Vireo with blue head


I stopped by Keith McLean C. L. and spent some time there.  The usuals were present, including a Nelson's Sparrow that I accidently flushed out of the weeds (not in the usual area).


Lots of Bronze Coppers are here.



Pine Siskins are certainly plentiful everywhere lately.  I have about 55-60 hanging around the yard in the cedars.  They have no interest in the nyjer feeders with natural food available.


We are due for a "good" bird in the area soon.




3 comments:

  1. Oh my word that Kiskadee!!! When? Where? Swoon!
    We went up north last weekend to Miller Lake - mostly a lot of myrtles, Chickadees, white crowned sparrows and kinglets. Looking forward to a full day of birding tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the Kiskadee from a couple of years ago. I put it up just for fun! One can always hope....

      Delete
    2. It's lovely! And yes, one must remain hopeful :)

      Delete