Saturday, October 24, 2020

Good Gull and Grosbeaks Around Rondeau

 Once again I spent the last couple of days birding in the Rondeau area.  There was not much in the way of photo opportunity though.

Each day we start with a lakewatch at dog beach.  However, the watches recently have not produced anything significant!

Lots of loons were moving Friday morning, and a good variety of ducks.

Black Duck

We checked out south point trail after the lakewatch, accompanied by Sean Macey from the Cambridge area.  Nothing unusal for this time of year was noted, but the unseasonably warm weather did not help!

We parted ways and I checked some other areas with no success.  Sean stayed in the park while I went over to McLean's.  While there, I got word that Sean had spotted a Sabine's Gull off the north end of the park.  I rushed over, but after considerable time looking, we did not find it.  By this time, the heat haze was terrible, so that did not help.  However, we agreed it was likely still out there.

Some gulls were collecting on the beach a bit farther east, but we did not pay much attention to them as they were all Ring-billed except one.  This was a case of live and learn, as the one we passed off as a Bonaparte's Gull.

However, Steve took a closer look and realized it was a Black-headed Gull!  A fine consolation prize to make up for not seeing the Sabine's.




The Black-headed is certainly a better bird overall, even though there are fewer Sabine's records for the area.  I have only seen one Sabine's at Rondeau, and two Black-headed in the Rondeau birding area.

"Locals" looking at the Black-headed Gull!

Sabine's has only been recorded about six times in the Rondeau area before.  Black-headed has been recorded at least seven times in the past.  All those from eBird records only.

The Sabine's was reported again this morning, so we were right in assuming it was still around.  Guess I should have stopped to look!

Today was a whole different ball game with the change in weather.  NW winds and a temperature drop changed things dramatically, just as we predicted.

Barely getting any sleep overnight, I headed down to Rondeau way too early and arrived in the dark!  At dog beach, I saw a Peregrine chase a woodcock off the lake.  I lost sight, but likely the woodcock became breakfast!

There was a good movement of ducks today, with numbers of Bufflehead increasing, and the some of the first Common Goldeneye being seen.

Steve joined me for the watch as we counted ducks and gulls and loons.  After the watch, I went to south point on my own and found many more sparrows and kinglets.  Lots of Yellow-rumped Warblers, and three Blackpoll.  Birds seemed to be along the lake more than anything, with little in the woods.

At one point I heard Evening Grosbeaks flying overhead.  I counted at least 11.  This was right on time and expected with the change in weather.  Evening Grosbeaks were predicted to erupt into southern Ontario and beyond, and today they certainly did!  They were reported all over in good numbers.

(photo from the past)

I eventually heard a few others as well.

At one point, I saw a Merlin perched in a dead tree.  As I looked over the lake, I noticed a passerine coming in off the lake.  As I watched it, a Merlin suddenly appeared and grabbed it!  Kind of neat to see, but this happens all the time.

Merlin with breakfast


Steve was stationed at Craford Road east of Cedar Springs and Sleepy Hollow and reported some White-winged Crossbills passing through, as well as many other birds.  I headed there next for something different to do. It is a good spot to see migrants heading west along the lake.  We have been there many times before. 

I ended up spending several hours there!  There was an endless movement of passerines, hawks and other birds.  They were still coming when I decided to leave, as a Golden Eagle was coming into view.

There were 42 Evening Grosbeaks during my stay, but many more arrived after I left!  Purple Finches were in crazy numbers today as well.  Hopefully there will be some finches around by the Christmas counts, but likely most will have gone by.

Here is the list for my stay at Craford Cemetery:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S75355441

Certainly was an interesting couple of days!

East winds tomorrow, so no good for Rondeau....


No comments:

Post a Comment