Saturday, September 5, 2020

Sulphurs on a Cloudless Day

 Friday I opted to go to Point Pelee.  The wind was not good for a Tip Watch but that is where I started!  You never know what may appear, so it was worth a try.  The skies were clear and it was one of the nicer days we have had lately.

I had butterflies on my mind as well since an Ocola Skipper showed up in a yard in Sarnia this week!  After the Tip watch, I had plans to check out some areas for butterflies.

There was not too much movement at the Tip.  A number of Sanderlings were scurrying around, and the only other shorebird type was Semipalmated Plover.

A couple of Ospreys showed up, with one offering a good photo op.




At one point I caught sight of a Prothonotary Warbler coming back in, probably the best bird of the day.

Later I headed up west beach trail.  Hackberry Emperors were very numerous, and during the course of the morning I saw over 200!


Several Orange Sulphurs were flitting about plus Red-spotted Purple and the odd crescent.

There was not much variety in butterflies, as has been the case this summer, but at one point I caught sight of a large yellow one.  I immediately recognized it as a Cloudless Sulphur.  As plain as it is, I find it attractive.



This species is usually on a mission and never stops, but luckily it did at one point as seen above.  I have seen a few of these at Point Pelee over the years.  I even had one pass through my yard in Wallaceburg a number of years ago!

Common Painted-Lady has been showing up all over lately.  Earlier this year there were hardly any!



There were virtually no birds along the west side, so later I walked De Laurier and Anders Footpath and Cactus Field.  I encountered a good flock of birds along Anders that kept me busy for a while.

flycatcher with a Great Crest


Today I went down to Rondeau Park and found a decent fallout of birds along south point trail.  I found about 17 species of warblers and lots of vireos.  Blackpoll seemed to be the dominant warbler today.

The White-eyed Vireo was still singing in the same spot today.  I even saw it this time!


Others have looked for this bird to no avail.  Seems to be an early morning creature of habit, as I have no problem finding it!

Later in the walk, the best warbler of the day was a Golden-winged.



After finishing in the park, I went over to McLean's.  A number of shorebirds were near the road, including a Wilson's Phalarope.



A total of seven Stilt Sandpipers were visible at one point, plus a couple of dowitcher and others.



A bout of sun at home brought out some butterflies.  This tattered Giant Swallowtail stopped by.


Another Common Checkered-Skipper briefly stopped in.  Seems I get several of these coming through.



The rest of the day was rather cloudy and a bit of rain, certainly not expected!  And depressing.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Blake, always enjoy your posts along with your ebird sightings. I had a question for you about yesterday, you mentioned the old Dillon trail and I wasn't sure if that is in the park or not? Many thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used to be a drivable road from south point east to south point west. Not far from the start of south point east--at the fork in the trail (a bit in from the start) go a short distance to the right towards Harrison. Willow tree there.

      Delete