Sunday, September 6, 2020

Extended Tour September 6

 I had nothing special planned today, but went down to do some birding in the Rondeau area.  I started at Keith McLean Conservation Lands.  It was obvious things had moved overnight, as there were not many shorebirds, and most of yesterday's birds had moved on.

In the park it was obvious that there were fewer birds there as well!  I did my usual route starting at south point trail.  There was hardly a warbler on the trail, but Swainson's Thrushes littered the place.



Lots of vireos as well, but no White-eyed today.



Same old birds on the lake and shore.  Even though there continues to be lots of gulls and terns, no rarities or uncommon birds are among them!

The north end along Harrison, especially south of pony barn was much better for warblers.  A good variety there.  



A Yellow-billed Cuckoo was the first I had seen in some time.

Next stop was Blenheim lagoons.  Just before getting there, I received word that a Swallow-tailed Kite was just outside of Point Pelee. I thought perhaps I had no chance of seeing it, so I spent some time at the lagoons.  There was not much in the way of shorebirds or ducks.  Some Redhead were present as well as a Ring-necked Duck.

The Purple Gallinule was still present, being quite elusive.  I did get a brief look at it today.

While there, notices kept coming in that the kite was still being seen.  It appeared that it may stay a while, so I made a beeline for Concession Road C near Point Pelee after leaving Blenheim.  There is no direct route, and of course that permanent detour did not help, but I arrived in good time.

Luckily it was was still soaring around towards the lake.  It was a bit distant, but I saw the very distinctive bird well.




It was an overdue lifer (lol) as I could never catch up with any others and I did not chase after any distant ones.  There was one near Luther Marsh this summer that I could have went for, but I did not.  Been to Luther Marsh a few times in the distant past-- an interesting area.  Even took the road to Damascus once!

While in the area, one had to go and see the Buff-breasted Sandpipers on concession E.  Today there were three!  It was a long walk along the dyke, but certainly worth a look at these uncommon creatures.  They were a bit too distant to photograph though.

This is a traditional spot for them each fall.  Here is what they look like (lol):


The above photo was from a few years ago when I was out in a kayak on Rondeau Bay.

Along ther dyke were some butterflies, including a Fiery Skipper.  The skies were threatening as they often do on weekends, so I did not linger.



Tomorrow could be interesting....somewhere.... with the strong south winds!

2 comments:

  1. That was nice you saw the Swallow-tailed Kite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. It was nice to get a new bird for a change.

      Delete