Saturday, August 1, 2020

Lagoons and Things

Friday, I checked out a couple of sewage lagoons for shorebirds.  Some lagoons are quite good providing habitat for shorebirds, while others are not.
Forest is one of the better one, but not the best right now.  Last year it was excellent and should be good in coming weeks as well.  That was my first stop on Friday.
There was not reallly anything of note though, but lots of Lesser Yellowlegs which are common at lagoons right now.

I then headed over to Strathroy.  Often, this place is not good for shorebirds, but this year it is the best it has been in many years.  In fact, it is certainly one of the better places for shorebirds right now.
Several birders were present this day, some of whom I knew.




Lots of shorebirds were there to sort through, but nothing in the rare department.  I spent over two hours there.  Many Solitary Sandpipers are around right now.

Solitary Sandpiper


Along the way I found this moth.

Squarsh Borer Moth


At the parking lot just before I got in the car I spotted a Broad-winged Skipper.



On the way home I stopped by a couple of spots near home, including Wilkesport, Reid and McKeough.  I was mainly looking for insects.  I saw Royal River Cruisers at each location.

EasternTailed-Blue
At Wilkesport, I walked along the edge of the prairie planting.  Not as good as last year, but various plants were noted.

Culver's Root

Missouri Ironweed

Spiked Blazing Star


Dukes' Skippers on their way out at Reid, looking a little worn.  I found three or four.



At McKeough, I took a quick look along the river's edge.  A couple of Flag-tailed Spinylegs were present.



Today, I decided to go back to Strathroy since it is good right now.  On the way, I stopped by Bridgen Lagoons, a little known spot.  Although I had stopped there occasionally over the years, it was never good for shorebirds.  However, this year, the one cell is excellent.  I did not spot anything of note this morning in my brief visit, but is certainly worth checking. One must note, it is one of those deals where it is fenced with No Trespassing signs, so one must be wary.


At Strathroy, there were still lots of shorebirds, but perhaps a few less than the previous day.  Proabably the only thing different was a possible Baird's (some there recently), but I could not get a handle on it.
Lots of Lesser Yellowlegs around, as well as Least Sandpipers.




Heading back towards home, I stopped by Skunk's Misery to walk the trail off Sassafras.

Northern Crescent

Tawny emperor

American Pelecinid Wasp


On the way back I stopped by Florence to look at the river for odes.  Several Swift River Cruisers were still flying, lots of American Ruby Spots, and various dancers along the edge.  I did not see Dusky, but maybe it is getting late for them.







I was home by noon, but just as well since the rain was coming in (sooner than expected!).

No comments:

Post a Comment