Saturday, July 25, 2020

Summer Rambles

Been checking things out not far from home since I am not able to get too far away!  We are in the 'dog days' of summer and the days are getting shorter 😞
Recently I have been going to Reid CA quite a bit since it is close and convenient.  Last Monday when I had an extra day off, I walked around the back field.



I found it an interesting walk, so I have now done it three times, including today!  There are lots of insects and plants.  I see several of my favourite dragonfly, the Royal River Cruiser.


Wild Bergamot

Swamp Milkweed
Question Mark
False(?) Sunflower

Gray-headed coneflower


Today was quite nice and just before lunch, I stopped by Reid.  I saw several Dukes' Skippers right away, and pointed them out to Chris Cheatle and Bonnie who happened to arrive at the same time.




Earlier today, I was at a loss where to go, but ended up at McLean's outside Rondeau.  There were not too many shorebirds, as I cannot seem to get the right day!  A pair of Sandhill Cranes flew by just before I left.



There was not much at Blenheim lagoons either.  The habitat for shorebirds is very minimal unfortunately.

Friday, I went to north Lambton starting at Forest Lagoons.  Once again, it was not the right day!  There were a lot of Lesser Yellowlegs and one Solitary Sandpiper, but that was it for shorebirds.
A number of Great Blue Herons were in the lagoon, totalling about 15.



Next stop was the Lambton Heritage Forest where I spent quite a bit of time.  I walked the High Ridge Trail and Savannah Trail.  The High Ridge was interesting as it was only the second time I ever checked that one out.



Northern Pearly-eye was the most common lep.


Grey Comma


I came across a Striped Hairstreak at one point.



Acadian Flycatchers are numerous in the forest here; I came across eight.



There were virtually no warblers, but I think they left early  due to the devastation left by the Gypsy Moth caterpillars.  I did hear one Hooded Warbler though.  They are usually numerous here, but I think not many showed up this year.

I also checked out L-Lake trail, where it was rather quiet.  It is part of the Heritage Forest and trees are quite leafless here as well.  Even the Hemlocks and Pines were hard-hit by Gypsy Moth caterpillars.

At one point along L-Lake, I spotted a darner, which I think is a Green-striped.  It perched in an awkward location, so I did not get a good look nor a good photo.



Later on the walk, I spotted a Fawn Darner, which I do not see too often.


One has to check for Oscellated Darner, which are common farther north.  Never seen one!

I stopped by Moore WMA on the way home, as I cannot resist the place!  Nothing new though.  I always look for mussels, and this very small Mapleleaf caught my eye.


They are considered "imeperiled" in Canada, but are fairly common in the north Sydenham.

Odes included the usuals.  No sighting of a Mocha Emerald though.

Stream Bluet
Blue-fronted Dancers


Late in the afternoon at home, a Royal River Cruiser came into the yard.  It perched for a while, but by the time I got the camera out, it took off!  It is the second record for the yard.

With moth week upon us, I took photo of some common ones that I saw in my travels.

Inornate Olethreutes Moth
Goldenrod Gall Moth

Common Idia Moth

Clover Looper Moth

Snowberry Clearwing


In other news, Thursday night was the closest approach to Earth of Comet Neowise. I finally got to see it, and out my bedroom window!  It is quite visible by binoculars, and one can see a decent tail.  I looked at it last night as well.
I do not have the proper camera equipment, so I only got a "smudge" for a photo.


Tomorrow is the Clear Creek butterfly count, so I will be out in the Clear Creek area looking for things with wings!

This post is Dun.

Dun Skipper





No comments:

Post a Comment