Sunday, May 24, 2020

More May Meanderings (May 19-24, 2020)

Migration was in full swing this week with some decent days.  Some days were hopping, while others were rather slow as birds are in a hurry to their breeding grounds.
On May 19 I went to Rondeau in the morning under sunny skies.  A good variety of birds were seen including a Golden-winged Warbler along Harrison Trail.




A while before that, I encountered an insect-like buzz which I recognized to be a Worm-eating Warbler.  However,  it was about two sloughs back and there was no chance in seeing it!


On May 20 I checked out Reid CA early morning which turned out to be rather quiet.  Breeding birds certainly had not arrived in big numbers yet.  However, I did find a Wood Thrush on a nest!


Waterfall at Reid CA!


On May 22 I decided on a change in scenery and went to Skunk's Misery.  I drummed up ten singing male Hooded Warblers which is about right for there.
Ovenbirds were singing all over and the count tripped the eBird filter!
Great-crested Flycatchers were numerous, but I failed to turn up an Acadian Flycatcher in a usual spot.  Perhaps it was farther back out of range.

Shy Blue-winged Warbler


While in the neighbourhood, I took a quick look around Wardsville Woods.  Blue-winged Warbler is always there, and last year I found a "Lawrence's".  This year, I thought I had just seen a Blue-wnged, but it had yellow wingbars which indicates a hybrid.

Saturday May 23 I went to Rondeau and it was a good choice as it was one of the better days that one could wish for.  Large numbers and varieties of birds were present.
I started on south point for a change, but walked the edge of the woods along the dunes to avoid all the water.  Lots of birds along the way kept me busy.  I distant bird over the lake caught my eye at one point, as it got closer, I realized it was a swan!  A Trumpeter Swan was indeed an odd sighting for the location and time!



I did quite a bit of walking on Saturday, probably at least 20 km, as my sore feet can attest.  Birds were everywhere so no matter where one went, there was something to look at

Flycather with a yellow belly
At one point I found an Acadian Flycather calling for "pizza".


I decided to walk down the west side of south point trail which I do not often do.  Near the end, a Prothonotary Warbler was singing and possibly on territory.  This is where we used to find them when I first started birding, before we knew anything about birds in the park!

At one point along the trail, I encountered a tiny snake which I thought was a Fox Snake before I took a closer look.  Turned out to be a Northern Watersnake in the middle of the woods!

Just a baby!



Many species were in big numbers especially Tennessee Warblers (60+ on my list!).  Several Pine Warblers are still around which leads one to believe they may stay to nest.  They have in the past.
Swainson's Thrushes were all over the place and one birder was all "thrushed out" by mid day.


While walking through the campground with a couple from Leamington, I saw a White-crowned Sparrow.  They are getting scarce by this date, but I recognized it as a "Gambel's" type.  I usually try to look for these each time I see White-crowns--they have a white lore.  I have seen several of these over the years.



After 3 p.m. I was getting tired and decided to head home.  A ways up Kent Bridge Road I heard that the Erieau Rail Trail was hopping with birds including some decent ones.  However, I was too tired to turn back!



Today, I went back to Rondeau and it was rather quiet.  As the saying goes, "here today, gone tomorrow"!  The weather was just too nice and birds were anxious to head to the breeding grounds it seems.
Yellow-bellied Flycatchers were in good numbers today, often in pairs.


"Screech" the owl was still keeping watch from his hole along Bennet Road.



Near the north end of the park, a Connecticut Warbler was spotted along Lakeshore Road.  It took some time to relocate the bird, but we managed to get a look at it.  Photos were less than ideal.



I wanted to add some shorebirds to the list, so I went back to south point and checked out the beach.  Whimbrel was high on the list, and oddly enough, a single Whimbrel took off just as I arrived!



Next on the agenda was Erieau.  I struck out on the reported rarities (just bad luck!) but there were lots of birds to look at.  Included was an obliging Hooded Warbler.



A few more Whimbrel were in the field to the north of McGeachy Pond.  I did not see any large flocks yet this year.

It  was a good week, and still lots to come, but migration will soon be behind us. Keep looking up!


1 comment: