Saturday, January 18, 2020

Some Hybrid Ducks and a "Long" Walk

Late Thursday I checked out a few ducks at Sombra and came across the Redhead X Ring-necked male at the ferry dock.  I was not able to take a proper photo, but it is certainly an attractive duck with a burgundy-coloured head and features of both species.

(second duck up from bottom)





This individual seems to show up every winter around Sombra.  In fact, a couple of these have been seen over the years.  A few winters ago, a number of hybrids were found on the St. Clair River, involving, Redhead, Canvasback, Ring-necked, and both scaup.  It certainly makes things interesting!

Friday, I headed down to Rondeau with some ambition.  I wanted to spend the whole day birding in various places, as the weekend was coming as well as the usual weather.  Seems the weather is stuck in a rut yet again.  Nice during the week, crappy on weekends.  Looks like the next week will be a carbon copy again!  Hopeless.

Upon arrival at Rondeau, I walked the campground which was rather quiet.  More squirrels than birds!  It is always hit and miss though.
Next walk was the usual south point trail route.  Lots of Cardinals around, and the single Red-winged Blackbird was still kicking around.
The lake was quite dead with regards to birds except for a number of Common Mergansers.  Only two gulls!!

Along Lakeshore Road, a Turkey Vulture was roosting in a tree.  Likely the same bird from December, refusing to head south.

With somewhat of an east wind, I decided to check out marsh trail (or what is left of it).  Ambition really kicked in and I ended up walking all the way to long pond!  Close to a ten km round trip stroll.



There were birds here and there, and I probably would have come across some more if I had started earlier.  For example, I had no "wintering" Marsh Wrens, which are definitely out there.  I did however come across a couple of Winter Wrens in the "marsh".

One spot had a flurry of birds including a Ruby-crowned Kinglet.  They were quite flighty though.



Along the way I heard one Common Yellowthroat chipping away, and a fleeting glimpse of a Brown Thrasher.  The thrasher was a known bird.  Too bad it was not a Sage. Some decades ago, one was documented out this very trail!  Would not be a lifer anyway....I have it on my "yard" list.

The rest of the day was spent driving around.  West of Wallaceburg, I stopped by Roberta Stewart Wetland.  It was basically frozen, but some ducks were on the Snye.  I cautiously approached as to not flush them.  Before they did flush, an interesting duck caught my eye.  I think it was a Gadwall X Northern Pintail.  It certainly looked identical to the one that was at Forest lagoons late March 2019.

I had a good look, but just as I raised the camera, the ducks took flight.  Too skittish!  I managed some flight photos from the rear.

(top duck)


The ducks set down farther downstream out of reach.



This is certainly one of the rarer hybrids, but there are all kinds of combinations out there.

Saturday was another story.  One could only do some driving around due to the usual weekend weather.  Always something!

I drove some backroads before they got too bad.  Came across this Snowy Owl on Whitebread Line.


As expected, some Snow Buntings, Horned Larks, and Lapland Longpurs were visible.

In the afternoon, I went out to the St. Clair River.  There was no place to pull off unfortunately.  More Redheads were at Sombra (and likely the hybrid).  Hundreds of gulls were off CF Industries outfall.  Numerous Glaucous Gulls and an Iceland were noticed in my quick look.  Too bad I could not stop to study them.

Hopefully Sunday will be better, but then it is still the weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment