Thursday, January 23, 2020

Prowls and Owls: Another Week in the Bag

There has not really been much to report lately, as known rarities or uncommon birds continue to be enjoyed by birders.  And, (I always have to comment!), the weather continues its usual pattern.  Just like clockwork, late last Sunday the skies cleared for a nice week of weather.  And, for the third weekend in a row, the weather is going in the dumps for the weekend.  Don't get me started....lol.

Last Sunday I stopped by Mitchell's Bay area and walked the south shore trail, and looked at the Bay in the village.  Some White-crowned Sparrows were a surprise near the parking lot of the trail.



A few Red-winged Blackbirds flew by, so some are around here and there.

At the Bay, some Bald Eagles were frolicking on the ice.




I continued driving around, and ended up at the St. Clair River.  I got a better look at one of the hybrid ducks at Sombra--the male Ring-necked X Redhead.  It was too tired to get its head up!




There is another hybrid there.  An apparent male Redhead X Lesser Scaup which I did not get a photo.  It is difficult to get good photos on a weekend due to the usual weather.

Gulls continue to be the story on the St. Clair River.  Several thousand are all along the river now, but no real rarities have turned up....yet.  I have observed lots at Port Lambton each morning.

There have been lots of Glaucous Gulls this winter.  I recall lots in 2013, as on 3 February that year, I counted over 60 from Sombra to the Suncor Dock at Sarnia.


Even the gulls have their hybrids.  We have seen Herring X Glaucous, Herring X Great Black-backed, Glaucous X Great Blackbacked.

With the usual nice weekday weather, I have toured around in the evenings.  At least two Snowy Owls are along Langstaff Line now.
Wednesday evening, I observed a Short-eared Owl at the Sombra solar farm.  It seems only one is there currently.  Too bad I did not have a camera, as when I first saw it it was perched on a Stop sign!
Here is a photo from years ago at Sombra.



This evening, I ventured all the way to Sarnia.  Some Short-eared Owls are at the old Blackwell Landfill.  Paul Pratt, among others, were there to watch the three owls as well.  These seem annual here and at the adjacent solar farm.


These owls are difficult to find in numbers anymore.  Paul mentioned that he remembers counting about 40 while he walked home from school! He used to live north of Sombra around Bickford.

On to another weekend and dealing with the weather.....


No comments:

Post a Comment