Sunday, November 24, 2019

Pier Phalarope to Sunday Snowy

Likely some of you guessed where I would start my day today.  I made a beeline for Erieau at first light in hopes of seeing a Red Phalarope.  It was discovered late in the day yesterday by Baxter Nayday at the Erieau pier.  I had a feeling it would still be there first thing in the morning, and it was!

Lighting was poor and the bird was constantly moving, so I did not get very good photos.  Seeing the bird was more important.



I have seen many of these cute creatures over the years.  I think the first one was at this very location (the channel) 30 October 1993.  I recall that day well, as Steve Charbonneau and I started at Sarnia (saw a Parasitic Jaeger and other birds) and worked our way all the way down to Erieau and Morpeth. It was  good day!

Speaking of Sarnia, I have seen Red Phalarope there at least four times (one time there were three!)
I recall one at Niagara Falls up close above the falls  1 December 2013.  I have seen several at Point Pelee, including this very co-operative individual at the Tip.


At one point, it tried to hide.



There is still chance for more as we can see these hardy birds well into December.

It has been some time since I checked the Erieau pier.  I looked over to the Rondeau sandspit (or what was left of it).  Most of it has disappeared in the last couple of years, woods and all!

Bald Eagle on one of the snags


After this, Steve and I walked the entire rail trail.  There were not many birds (like every place else right now!), but one is always hopeful.  It brought back visions of the Tropical Kingbird seen at the end of Lagoon Road and the top of this trail back in November 2002.  I think we are due for another one of those again, or one of its cousins!

The day was still young, so I headed west to Wheatley Harbour.  There were lots of gulls, but once again nothing of note.
I took a walk at Hillman Marsh.  The shorebird cell was devoid of birds!
Some chickadees were seen along the way.



As well, an unco-operative Golden-crowned Kinglet was giving me a message.



I moved on to Point Pelee and just checked Sanctuary Pond.  There was much to look at, but nothing stood out.  Jere Bensette came along for a bit to check things out as well.  There were lots of gulls, but no Ivory Gull.  I just heard that earlier this month an Ivory Gull was at Bracebridge!

Heading back towards home, I stopped by Two Creeks CA and walked the trail.  It was boring!  As I mentioned previously, I think it is going to be a boring winter for birds.
The only lep I saw was this spanworm moth.



Closer to home, I caught sight of a Snowy Owl, first for the fall.  The "caged" owl is back!



I assume it has authorization to be in this enclosure!

Another weekend in the bag......

No comments:

Post a Comment