Saturday, August 24, 2019

North Lambton Shorebirds to Insects

Heading northward today, I first stopped at Forest Lagoons.  Shorebirds are getting a bit fewer and the the cells are drying up and getting covered in vegetation.

There were still lots of Lesser Yellowlegs and Semipalmated Plovers plus some others.



The last couple of days, two Red-necked Phalaropes have been seen at Forest.  I was there for a good hour and did not see one today.  I thought since it was the weekend, a bird of this calibre had decided to leave.  I was just about to leave, and spotted a Red-necked Phalarope in the distance!  Where it came from I have no idea since it certainly was not in view for an hour.



Quite distant, but I attempted a photo.



I next walked at Ausable River Cut CA looking for anything with wings.  I saw only one dragonfly along the river,  perhaps something like a basket-tail.
Near the end of the trail, I found a decent flock of birds including Blackburnian, Black-and-white, Bay-breasted, Nashville, Chestnut-sided and Blue-winged Warblers.

Blackburnian Warbler

Black-and-white Warbler


There was a good spot for butterflies here, but perhaps it was too early in the morning.  Both Cylindrical and Rough Blazing Star is here--a good spot for Leonard's Skipper.

Rough
Cylindrical


Moving on, I decided to try Karner Blue Sanctuary in Port Franks.  I found a couple of migrant warblers here plus several other species.  There was a large flock of orioles moving through at one point.

Here, we have my go-to place for Leonard's Skippers.  A section where Rough and Cylindrical Blazing Star blooms is a good bet for Leonard's.  Sure enough, I saw two of the creatures.





A lingering Wild Indigo Duskywing was present as well.


Some other leps included a late Common Wood Nymph, and a Hackberry which I though was uncommon for here.


I only got a quick look at the Hackberry.



Later on, I saw a darner fly by and perch on a tree.  Turns out it landed right beside a cicada!  I think it had no idea.  It appeared to be a Shadow Darner.




I saw no Royal River Cruisers in the area like a couple of weeks ago on the blitz.  Recently, James Holdsworth found one on the Ausable at the River Cut CA.  They are certainly uncommon this far north.

With such nice weather (was it really the weekend?), I stopped by L-Lake trail.



It was terribly quiet for birds, but I did come across a lingering Hooded Warbler.
Near the turn of the trail, I saw this fresh female Slaty Skimmer.


At the turn one can go onto the Nature Conservancy property and follow a long trail.  I have never gone all the way.  One used to be able to access at the end, but a bridge had been removed many years ago there.



Along the trail, I found a Northern Pearly-eye.  It is very late in the season for this species.


Northern Pearly-eye is single brooded and usually done by later in August.  I recall a number of years ago I found a very fresh one at the end of August at Moore WMA.  Alan Wormington told me it was a rare second brood!

It was nice here, so I ate my lunch while sitting on a bench!


Since I was driving by Marthaville Habitat Management Area near Petrolia, I stopped in.  I had not been here in a few years.  I think the last time was when I found a White-eyed Vireo here in June.

Compass Plant


Near home, I stopped by Nicholl's at Wilkesport.  I saw one Royal River Cruiser here, so I got my cruiser fix for the day!

At home in the garden, several Peck's Skippers were flitting about.



As well, tiny Fragile Forktails were in the garden.  They are so tiny, hence their name, I guess!



No comments:

Post a Comment