Monday, August 26, 2019

Bay to Blenheim on Sunday

Not feeling overly ambitious on Sunday, I headed out to Mitchell's Bay south shore trail early Sunday morning.  I always find it good with the lighting early morning.  Couple that with the NE wind, it seemed a good bet that some migrants would be flitting about.

Right out of the gate, I spotted a Wilson's and a Blue-winged Warbler.  Many others were seen along the way, totalling 13 species in the warbler department.  Most were quickly moving around and not photogenic.  Quite a few birds remained unidentified.  Best was probably a Canada Warbler.  Due to lighting and the active birds, I did not get any quality photos.

Black-throated Green

Chestnut-sided


The Olive-sided Flycatcher was still in the same area as two days previous.  Olive-sided is one of my favourite regular flycatchers.  "Quick-three-beers!"



Hundreds of blackbirds were moving north along the shore, so who knows if one with a yellow head was amongst them.  Probably.
Here is my eBird list:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59243004

After spending more than a hour there, I was not sure where to go to next, but my car somehow aimed towards Blenheim despite being in some need of fuel. After getting some gas in Blenheim, I headed over to the lagoons where I met Steve Charbonneau.  He was just on his way out, so after some chatting I moved on to check out some shorebirds.

There was a lot to sort through in the sprinklers, but nothing of OBRC quality was there.


One of two Snipes


There were lots of semisands and overy 60 Lesser Yellowlegs.  At first glance one would not think that many were present, but when you get a count, it is surprising.




Stilt Sandpiper


This was my last visit to Blenheim in my trusty car, as I will be getting a new vehicle tomorrow (Tuesday).  Try and find me now!
🚙


No comments:

Post a Comment