Friday, August 16, 2019

Lagoon Outings and Other Things

This morning I once again headed up to Forest Lagoons in hopes of finding something different.  Twas not to be...again!  Certainly has been lack-lustre in the shorebird department (for rarities or uncommon species) around here so far.  There was a lot to look at but nothing new for the year.



Lots of Least, Semipalmated Sandpipers and Lesser Yellowlegs.



Killdeer was most numerous, as I counted 159.
The single juvenile Common Gallinule was still visible.  I wonder if the other disappeared?  I also saw a Sora and a Virginia Rail.


After Forest, I headed to Strathroy.  It was easy to get to since one goes straight through Forest out to Strathroy! The lagoons there have good shorebird habitat right now.  One never knows what is there until you check it out.

I found lots of Semipalmated and Least Sandpipers, along with some Lesser Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpipers, a Solitary Sandpiper and numerous Semipalmated Plovers.  A single White-rumped was in the mix as well.  Still no new birds!




I spent quite a bit of time there as it the trees can hold passerines.  Early on, I spotted an immature Cape May Warbler. 



I watched it for a bit until it flew off NE across the pond.  Strangely, later on I refound it on the other side of the pond!



An early Philadelphia Vireo was found as well.  It is mid-August, so we should be  seeing lots of migrants by now.

Some butterflies were around the ponds as well.

Common Ringlet


I headed back SW and ended up at Skunk's Misery on my favourite trail off Sassafras Road.  It was a bit quiet for birds, but I did pick up on a lingering Hooded Warbler.
Some Ruby-throated Hummingbirds were seen too.



A number of insects were here including dragonflies and butterflies.  I saw one dragonfly which was obviously an emerald.  There is a stream along this trail.  I can only assume it was a Mocha Emerald.  I am not sure what else would be here.
There were other common species.

Twelve-spotted Skimmer


Butterflies included both Tawny and Hackberry Emperors.  As well, an American Snout rounded out the ones that feed on hackberry trees.


A rather late Striped Hairstreak was barely recognizable.


A Peck's Skipper alighted upon a thistle.



One last stop was a quick one at Florence.  I found the same species as a couple of weeks ago, but fewer numbers.  A couple of Swift River Cruisers went by on my visit.

American Rubyspot


Black-shouldered Spinyleg

Dusky Dancer
Last Sunday I stopped at Blenheim for a change.  Not really anything of note (again).





I made another stop at Moore WMA last week to look for things.

Mapleleaf

Deertoe

???

???


A number of butterflies have been visiting the yard, including this Peck's Skipper.


For the Boatnerds, here is a classic laker.

CSL Tadoussac

A scene from one of my morning vigils at Port Lambton:

Algoma Hansa



No comments:

Post a Comment