Sunday, August 18, 2019

Essex County Visit

Saturday and Sunday I spent some time in Essex County.  It was a nice change since I have been spending quite a bit of time in north Lambton, Middlesex and Elgin counties this summer.
I did not come across anything of note, which seems to be the trend for me lately.  Migration is a bit late for passerines this summer and nothing noteworthy turned up in my walks.

I started at the Tip of Point Pelee on Saturday morning with a stiff westerly wind.  It was quite nice to be there.  The only shorebirds were Sanderling and Semipalmated Plovers.  Lots of Bonaparte's Gulls were moving, but nothing with them.



A Merlin passed by at one point, on its way to Pelee Island.  It was the only raptor I saw.


Cactus Field was quite active at the north end with resident birds moving about.

After the Tip watch, I headed up west beach trail in search of butterflies.  It was a little better than the previous visits, but nothing like the "old days".
Buckeyes have finally arrived in numbers, as I saw several.


American Painted-Lady
Common Painted-Lady
Northern Broken-Dash

Spotted Datana Moth caterpillar


After exiting the park, I stopped by Pelee Wings which is having a closing out sale.  If you want something from there, get it now while on sale.  It is a popular store for optics and other nature things.  I have purchased a lot things there over the years, so it will be missed!

After lunch, I headed over to Hillman Marsh and walked around the shorebird cell.  There were lots of Monarchs, a few Buckeyes, Peck's Skippers, etc.
I found a night-heron at one point, which I could not turn into a Yellow-crowned.



Mersea Road 21 wetlands had a few shorebirds, but nothing new for me.

I started heading west.  At the end of the day, there was a nice get-together near Amerstburg of birders/naturalists.  It was  great evening of camaraderie.  Many thanks to Kory and Sarah Renaud for hosting the event.

As it was too late and too far to head home, I stayed at the Renaud residence overnight.  This morning, I decided to head back into Point Pelee for another look a the Tip.  I got there later than usual, so obviously missed some things.  Shorebirds included a couple of Semipalmated Plovers, a Least and a Spotted Sandpiper.




Several Sanderlings scurried along the beach offering photo ops.





A walk up west beach trail saw fewer butterflies than the previous day.  As is often the case at Point Pelee, it is feast one day, famine the next!

I stopped by Pelee Wings once more to buy a new tripod since my old one was getting worse for the wear.  It was a good deal with the sale price.

I by-passed Mersea Road 21 and Hillman beach where some shorebirds were reported earlier and headed home for some relaxation.

Next weekend remains a mystery!


2 comments:

  1. If only Pelee Wings were closer for me. I've heard a lot of good things about that place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a popular place! I've spent a lot of money there over the years!

      Delete