Saturday, July 13, 2019

Snowy on a Hot Day

I have been making some rounds the last couple of days, but nothing of note until this afternoon.  I was going to a variety store this afternoon, but decided to take the long way around to take a glimpse of the flooded fields along Otter Creek.
On the south side, I saw three or four Great Egrets, but when I got to the north side of the creek, I saw another egret out of the corner of my eye.  I did an about-face as I thought it looked much smaller.  Sure enough it was a Snowy Egret!  I had no camera on hand so I rushed back to the house and came back to snap a few record photos.




Just last Friday, I finally saw some shorebirds there, including some very early Short-billed Dowitchers.  At the time, I predicted something decent will show up here.  A Snowy Egret will do! Something even better will have to show now....perhaps a Limpkin?  There are a couple in Ohio right now.

Yesterday, I went down to Rondeau for the first time in a few weeks.  I wanted to check on the situation for the upcoming butterfly count which is tomorrow.  My area, south point trail, is still flooded of course, and the levels are not much lower than in May.  It is very swampy, infested with mosquitoes and other critters!  There was a bit of a north wind yesterday, so Stable Flies were in numbers as well, which did not help.
There are not many flowering plants other than Common Milkweed either.  I saw very few butterflies, just like most other places this year.

Black-dotted Glyph (moth)
Delaware Skipper
Along the beach, I came across a dead Cecropia Moth.



The White-winged Dove was still up to its antics as I passed by.  Maybe a female will once again show up soon like last year.
On the maintenance loop, I checked for Oswego Tea flowers in a known spot.

Scarlet Beebalm


I stopped by Lagoon Road where a few shorebirds were across from the compost pile.  Included were three Short-billed Dowitchers.
I checked out Blenheim Lagoons as well.  Two more Short-billed Dowitchers were there too.  Seems they are on the move early this summer.

dowitchers

In the afternoon, I was relaxing on the back porch watching the garden. I was surprised to see a Banded Hairstreak fly in.  It was a first for the yard.


Red Admiral on Purple Coneflower


Today, I went up to Sarnia to check a couple of usual haunts.  Dow Wetlands did not have much other than mosquitoes.  I then moved over to the old Blackwell Landfill where a couple of Dickcissels moved in, finally, last week.  I quickly found one singing male.




I eventually managed to get quite close and got full frames shots of it.




I met up with the Nethercott's and we traversed the place.  We came across the two Sedge Wrens which had not been reported lately.  We thought they had left!

Bobolinks are now on the move, and several were at the old landfill.



On the way home, I stopped by McKeough and Reid to look for insects.  Very few....again!  Flag-tailed Spinylegs and Pronghorn Clubtails should have been around, but I found none.  With the high water, there is no edge along the river where they always liked to perch.

At Reid, there were lots of Banded Hairstreaks which probably just emerged.




I guess the Oak Hairstreaks are now done for this year, as I have not seen any for a while.  I also did not see Dukes' Skipper, but some are there.


2 comments:

  1. I did not see the Snowy Egret first thing in the morning today, Sunday. It was not visible late afternoon either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snowy Egret was present before 5 p.m. July 16, in the same spot.

    ReplyDelete