Friday, June 28, 2019

Sanderling to Hairstreak or Tip to Reid

Today seemed like a good day to go to Point Pelee, as a SW wind was in the works.  The previous times I have been there lately the wind has been in other directions.  It did not do much for butterflies as I saw very few today.  Sure has been a dismall year!

I went to the Tip first thing as usual.  No gulls on the Tip!  The fact that four Bald Eagles were sitting there might have had something to do with it.
Most of the gulls I saw continued on south.  Early on, a first cycle Little Gull was on the wing.  One has been around in recent weeks.
A flock of about ten Common Terns went by, and a couple of Black Terns were milling about.



It was not till later, that I noticed a shorebird on the Tip.  I thought it was just the Dunlin from last week, but a closer look revealed a Sanderling.




Certainly an odd time for one!  I suppose it could be an early fall migrant, as it does not seem plausible to be a late spring migrant at this date.  There are no close dates recorded on eBird in the Pelee area.

There was also a Spotted Sandpiper keeping it company.



Some gulls did sit on the Tip later, but most went by.



Don't get me started on pelicans......

Definitely not a Pelican


I walked back west beach trail per usual and saw practically no butterflies.  Even dragonflies are still absent.

De Laurier and the marsh boardwalk entrance are still flooded.  The water levels are not going down at all.  In fact they are still rising!  At the marina in Port Lambton we were plagued with problems all week.  Marsh plants are now growing beside the shop!

I took a quick look at Hillman marsh on the way back.  Five Sandhill Cranes flew over at one point.




I was going to walk around the shorebird cell, but it was just too hot.  Probably no butterflies anyway!

Back at home, I decided to give Reid CA another shot since conditions were perfect for insects.  I lucked out and saw my first and only hairstreak so far this year.  And yes, it was an Oak Hairstreak!






Things are more than a week behind this year compared to any previous year that I can recall. Average date for Oak Hairstreak is around the 20th.
Hopefully it will pick up soon, at least with regards to insects.  Skunk's Misery butterfly count is next Sunday.

European Skipper


No comments:

Post a Comment