Sunday, June 23, 2019

Pelee Notes and Joany's Woods

Saturday I took a chance to see what was at Point Pelee.  I spent three hours at the Tip first thing looking for something of note.  I was hoping to see a White Pelican, as some had been there the previous three days, but one never showed.  It is certainly a nemesis bird this year for me, as one was there again today! I give up on that one..it will have to come to me!

There were lots of gulls to sort through, but not as many as the previous week.  As well, they were not staying much on the Tip.


Dunlin at very Tip


A Common Merganser male was swimming around the Tip, something a bit uncommon this time of year.



Later, I found it just offshore off west beach trail.



An out-of-place shorebird was a Dunlin.  I would assume a late spring migrant at this point.



Earlier, while driving into the park, I heard a Tennessee Warbler singing at De Laurier.  It is not unheard-of to have one in late June.  In fact, these can be considered early fall migrants!  I had one just down Anders Footpath back on 24 June 2012 which AW said was a record early fall migrant by one day.  Now that we are past June 21, it is all downhill the rest of the year!

Walking seems limited anywhere this year unless you wear boots.  De Laurier trail was flooded at the back, and the marsh tower area was flooded.  The water levels are still rising, which is not good.
Here near home, many spots require boots and trails are not maintained (mowed) this year due to the wet ground.  It is tough going!

Black-billed Cuckoos are nesting at Reid CA.  Getting into Reid is tough as one almost disappears into the bottomless mud.



Hooded Mergansers once again nested at Wilkesport.



Today, I wanted to check out Joany's Woods just into Middlesex County.  I had not been there in two years, so it was time!  It was secured a number of years ago by Thames Talbot Land Trust.



The weather was quite nice, and I enjoyed the walk.  There was not really anything of note, but Blue-winged Warblers are common here and I came across at least three pairs.  They were too active to get any photos.
There was a fairly good variety of birds here, including Yellow-bellied Sapsucker which is near the south part of its breeding range.
I did not much in the way of insects, except bees.  It can be good for butterflies, but this year is a horrible one.

Ebony Jewelwing

Silver-spotted Skipper


No comments:

Post a Comment