Friday, June 7, 2019

Recent Outings and Notes

Today, June 7, was probably the nicest day we have had yet this year.  I took advantage and headed down to Point Pelee.  This time of year I tend to find some good gulls around, but it was not to be today.  Maybe next weekend?  As well, I was hoping to see some American White Pelicans, but struck out on that too!
I went right to the Tip and had it to myself for two hours.



There is a good sandspit, and lots of gulls were around, but just the usual four species that I could see.





Some Baltimore Orioles were attempting to fly out, but came back.



The only shorebird was a wayward Red Knot.  It flew over and I only got on it at the last second.

A funky pigeon was hanging around the Tip.  It had a band on its leg.



As I walked up the west side, the only butterflies were American Painted-Lady, Red Admiral and azures.



I later saw a FOY Little Wood Satyr at Cactus Field.


Other butterflies along the road included Eastern Tiger Swallowtails, and a FOY Giant Swallowtail.

I checked out Woodland trail where a number of Prothonotary Warblers are hanging out.  I saw at least two males.  I only checked the one section.



There was not much evidence of passerine migrants, but I did come across a Northern Parula at one point.  Often, we have these in June and even late June!

The resident flycatchers were going about their business.

Pelee Peewee


On the way home, I stopped by the Camper's Cove field fully expecting to find a Dickcissel or two.  A single male was singing away, but too far for a photo.  They are always expected here in the first week of June!

About a week ago, there were lots of Great Egrets at Stewart Wetland west of Wallaceburg.  I counted at least 12.  Usually on the last days of May, there are a number, probably heading north.



Recently, a couple of Snowy Egrets have been in the province, so be on the lookout!

And, this portion of the post I will dedicate to my father.
On an historical note, yesterday was the 75th Anniversary of the D-Day invasion along the coast of France.  In particular, the Canadians were responsible for the Juno Beach--the massive landing there on June 6, 1944.
It reminded me of my father's trip to that area in the summer of 2006 when he travelled to England and France with the Essex-Kent Scottish Regiment to celebrate the Dieppe Memorial.  It was his last trip before he became too ill.  This was on my mind anyway as it was ten years ago this past Sunday that Dad passed away.

The group visited the beaches, including Juno.



In particular, it was a passion (one of many!) of my father's to study war history.  It was  dream come true for him to visit the gravesites of local war casualties.



After a culmination of ten years research, my father published a book on local war casualties--those who never returned.  The book was entitled No Return Ticket.



Saturday will  prove interesting, so stay tuned!


2 comments:

  1. Nice tribute of your Dad, Blake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. It seems fitting that all this came together in the past week!

      Delete