Saturday, June 15, 2019

Pelee Visit and Mosying in Middlesex

Friday I checked out Point Pelee again.  As mentioned before, it is a good time to look for gulls at the Tip.  There were more than last week, especially Bonaparte's.  However, I did not find any rarities!  Once again I had the Tip to myself for over two hours, intently looking at the gulls.




There were lots of bonies to sort through, but nothing popped out in the form of a Black-headed Gull.






I looked for butterflies later, as well.  Not a good year once again.  Seems we have been in a downward spiral since the big year of 2012.  I did get some FOY's during the day including a Common Painted-Lady.



I also walked around the Hillman shorebird cell.  A FOY included a Red-spotted Purple.


And, at "Least" I some some skippers.



There still a bit of moisture in the cell where some Great Egrets and Sandhill Cranes were loafing.




On the way home I (by)passed by Mitchell's Bay.  About the time I went by, six American White Pelicans were on the wing, as recorded by an observer on eBird.  One never knows...


Today I decided on a change in scenery and went into Middlesex County.  I checked the usual spots that I do this time of year.
First stop was Napier Road where Clay-colored Sparrows reside every summer.  I heard one singing in the spruce plantation area.  Up the road is a good pasture that has Grasshopper Sparrows.

There are still lots of pastures in this area and perhaps the last stronghold of Upland Sandpipers in SW Ontario around here.  I checked a bit of McArthur Road but did not see any.
Just up Calvert Drive, I came across an Upland Sandpiper in a typical pose.



Towards Strathroy, I always stop at Clark Wright CA on Walker's Line.



There are usually some decent birds here.  In the past, White-eyed Vireo has been here, as well as Blue-headed Vireo.  Blue-winged Warbler often here, but not today (I did hear one down the road).
It is good for butterflies as well, but of course not this year and not on weekends.  It was once again cloudy and drizzly today, right on cue for a weekend.

Next stop was Strathroy Lagoons on Pike Road.  It is open to walkers where one can circle two large ponds.  A variety of birds can be found here.  I always find a large number of swallows (all the usual species) and today was no exception.
It can be good for ducks.  Today, ten Ruddy Ducks were visible.




When the water is low (not reccently of course), it can be good for shorebirds.  Back in the nineties, a Snowy Plover was here!  A number of years ago I found an American Avocet here.

I headed back from here, but went down to Skunk's Misery and Mosa Forest complex.  It was rather quiet, but the usual weekend weather did not help matters.  Hooded Warblers are common ( I did manage five today) and other warblers such as Cerulean (one today) can be found.  Acadian Flycatchers are reliable (a pair today).
I only walked one trail due to the weather and mosquitoes!  A quiet Blue-winged Warbler was the only thing of note there.

Not far away, I checked out Wardsville Woods, a favourite stop of mine.



Foxglove Beardtongue


Blue-winged Warbler is always here each year, but I did not find it until I was at the very back.  Usually it is not that far back on the property.



But wait, something else caught my eye.  With it was a "Lawrence's" Warbler, the rarer hybrid of Blue-winged X Golden-winged!  I managed to get a quick record photo before it disappeared.



It was noon by this time, but I had to get back to Port Lambton for some important business.


No comments:

Post a Comment