Saturday, March 9, 2019

Leaping Around Lambton

Given the nice weather (unusual for a Saturday) I decided to do some Lambton County birding today.  Nothing new has been reported towards Lake Erie lately anyway!  Viewing conditions were excellent along the St. Clair River, and there was lots of waterfowl to look at.  Most ducks seemed to be in the lower parts ( Port Lambton-Sombra) of the river, except for Long-tailed which were still everywhere.




It was the same old stuff though! I thought for sure I could scrape up a Harlequin Duck today.  I went as far as Guthrie Park, Corunna.  Five Northern Pintail, though, were likely spring migrants at CF Indutries outfall.


Trumpeter Swan (this bird was at Cathcart Park in January)




I then headed inland and thought Perch Creek would be a nice walk.  I spent the better part of two hours there.  The redpolls were still on the east side of the landfill, and were quite co-operative today.  There is lots of teasel there and they love that stuff!






On the last leg of my walk, I checked an area where I had Long-eared Owls late last fall.  To my surprise, there were eight!  They never allow close approach, so when you accidently stumble upon them, they tend to flush.


No Northern Saw-whet was to be found today.

My next stop was the south pond of Blackwell Trails park.  Earlier, a Wood Duck had been reported.  It was a female and was visible upon my arrival.


Strangely, it was a "FOY".  Usually I see one or two during winter along the river.

Another Hybrid


After chatting with Ed Lavender, lunch was a necessity since my stomach was growling (I went to the Mall).  While there, I got a message that a pair of Common Ravens was at the east end of Churchill Line.  I was there in no time, and saw them soon after my arrival.  They had been reported earlier by Sean Jenniskens who lives not far from there.
Unfortunately, I was looking straight ahead into the sun through the windshield when I saw them in flight.  They briefly alighted on a dead tree, then took off.  However, their size and shape was distinctive.



These birds are becoming quite regular in north Lambton anymore.  There have been several sighted in the last few months.

During my travels today, there were lots of Red-tailed Hawks perched or on the wing as they gear up for nesting.

My last walk was at Wilkesport (Nicholl's Memorial Forest).  I came across another nice flock of Common Redpolls taking advantage of teasel.  They too, were co-operative.



This one was quite plump


And, beavers are busy in the area.



It was a nice day to be out, but as usual, we cannot get two good days in a row (on a weekend).  Some crappy weather is arriving tonight!  Supposedly anyway, as forecasts (long-term) seem to be too unreliable anymore.
Will see what tomorrow brings....

P.S.  Bird Trax may be dead now, but something new is supposed to come out next month.




No comments:

Post a Comment