Friday, March 22, 2019

Late Winter Gulls

Late yesterday I went for a walk out at Mitchell's Bay.  I was somewhat unprepared for the cold wind coming in off the lake.  As well, I was surprised to find a large number of gulls as seen from the dock along the south shore nature trail.



There were well over 2000 gulls there, and too bad I did not have a scope either!  Most were Herring Gulls, but I did pick out three Lesser Black-backed Gulls, at least five Glaucous Gulls, and one Iceland.  Only a couple Great Black-backed and very few Ring-billed.



Ticky Tacky Point



More gulls were off Dover Beach Park in the village, including a couple of Lesser Black-backed and another Glaucous.

It was nice to see this gathering of gulls, as there has been virtually none on the St. Clair River most of the winter.

A good number of ducks were visible (mostly Canvasback), but most were too far distant.

I was going head back out late today, but as usual, a strong north wind kicked in and the temperature plummetted signalling the start of another weekend.  It would have been unbearable!

No comments:

Post a Comment