Saturday, March 23, 2019

Humming Along At Point Pelee and Other Sightings

Today I decided to head to Point Pelee under the clear skies.  The air was crisp, but nice to have full sun on a weekend!
One can drive to the Tip right right now as the tower is nearing completion.  The tower has a distinctive hum in the breeze, though!  I hope this is not a constant thing as it could be annoying.

There was not much to note in the way of birds, as winter lingers on.  A few people were out and about and even the "afternoon shift" was out today (in the morning)!

Along Mersea Road 19, a male Ring-necked Pheasant was visible in a regular location.  These creatures are difficult to find anymore.



I stopped by Hillman Marsh to look at waterfowl.  A number of birds were in the shorebird cell, which is completely full of water.  I hope it goes down a bit for shorebirds!




Of note, four Greater White-fronted Geese were swimming around.  Also, a hybrid of sorts was amongst the geese.  It struck me as a Greater White-fronted X Canada, but I am not sure.




While I was walking around, a singing male Eastern Bluebird caught my attention.



On the way home, at least four Snowy Owls were in the vicinity of Grande Pointe.  Included was the "caged" owl!



I stopped by the Mitchell's Bay south shore trail to check on the gull situation.  The ice has already disappeared, except for a bit in the cove area.  A good number of gulls were there, but not like the other day. 



I did see one Glaucous Gull fly by at a distance.



Three Double-crested Cormorants were out on the lake, the first migrants I have seen this year.  A large number of ducks were on the Bay, most of which seemed to be Canvasback.


Spring burning on Walpole Island


While I walked the trail, three Sandhill Cranes flew by on their way north.



Sunday looks like a decent day as well!


1 comment:

  1. What a nice find with the Pheasant, Blake! I haven't seen one in years!

    ReplyDelete