Saturday, January 5, 2019

Lingering Loons and Barred Beauty at Rondeau

Some decent 'winter' birds have been fluttering around Rondeau this season, so I headed that way early this morning to see what I could find.  I started with a lakewatch off the traffic circle where a number of waterfowl could be seen.  It was a good choice, as fog later rolled in for the morning!
Over 1000 Tundra Swans were on the lake, plus various ducks, but no Red-throated Loons could be seen from there.
I then moved into the nearby campground in hopes of coming across the Barred Owl, Baltimore Oriole and/or Orange-crowned Warbler.  There was a good variety of birds there, but none of the above first thing.



An Eastern Phoebe was later seen at the yacht club, so I checked that out.


We later found this well-traveled bird in the campground.  It is assumed to be the same bird found on the CBC.

A number of birders were in the park today, so it was well-covered.  We spent several hours in the campground, but no owl or oriole.  Later, while we were walking in the south part,  I finally spotted a fat owl in a Pine tree.  Barred Owl!



All present got on the owl as it perched in the tree.  Park employees Caitlin and Pilar came along to finally see the creature.



After showing well, it flew farther into a wooded area, but still in sight for more birders that arrived.

I decided to look around in other areas, including a peak on the lake off the visitor centre.  Finally, some of the lingering loons could be seen.  At least eight Red-throated Loons were close together in the haze.





After checking some other spots, I finally left the park after many hours of birding.  I should have gave the campground one more shot, as the elusive Baltimore Oriole and Orange-crowned Warbler were finally seen.  Seems these are afternoon birds based on the recent sightings!  Perhaps I will give it another try tomorrow.
I firmly believe finding good birds is just plain dumb luck and being in the right place at the right time!
I did well today in getting shots of birds as they take off....lol.





Heading home, I drove along Stefina Line.  A Northern Shrike was present, as well as some hawks, but no Wilson's Snipe in the creek. Every winter there is at least one here in the creek that never freezes.


I was happy with seeing the owl and loons today, but would have been elated to see an oriole!

By the way, the local Northern Rough-winged Swallow was still doing well today.  The Cape May Warbler was seen again on Thursday, but remains very elusive.

No comments:

Post a Comment