Sunday, September 9, 2018

Stewart Snowy to Wawanosh Warblers

Today, September 9, I ventured up Sarnia way for a change in scenery.  First thing, I stopped by Stewart Wetland to see that the Snowy Egret was still present.  It was a gloomy day, most typical of weekends, so the photo is rather dark.  The egret sure looks small when it gets beside other larger birds!



I stopped by Wawanosh Wetlands, a birding hotspot in Sarnia.  In my early days of birding, I went here quite often, especially for shorebirds in the big pond.  Those days are long gone as there is too much phragmites and other growth, and higher water.  However, it is good for migrants in the woody areas, and today was no exception.

There were lots of warblers, vireos and flycatchers difficult to see under gloomy skies.  I saw at least 14 species of warblers.

Bay-breasted Warbler
Several Wilson's were flitting about, never staying still......



There were  a few of my favourite vireo, the Philadelphia.



After 1.5h there, I headed over to Perch Creek.  It was basically dead!  Not a single warbler.  I guess the fact that Wawanosh is closer to the lake may have been a factor in seeing more birds there.

I stopped by Peers Wetland on the way home.  It was somewhat quiet, but better days are ahead.

Black-throated Green Warbler


Great Egret


Each place had Purple Finches.  They seem to be everywhere right now, so perhaps a sign of things to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment