Friday, September 14, 2018

Happenings This Week September 10-14

I have been out and about as much as possible this week as the summer wanes.
The Snowy Egret continued at Roberta Stewart Wetland all week.  I did not see it today (morning) but did not check late afternoon.  Perhaps it moved on?




There have been lots of passerines moving through.  I checked Brander Park at Port Lambton just before work each day.  Many warblers to sort through, but mosquitoes were still horrendous!

Wednesday afternoon I left work after lunch and headed down to Rondeau area. A check of Blenheim Lagoons and Erieau revealed very little.  I think the birds had been spooked at the lagoon before my arrival as it was basically dead!

I moved on over to Rondeau Park and found the Great Kiskadee right away along the shoreline north of the marsh trail entrance.  It was hunting for food.  Apparently it hangs out there most often now.

(photo last weekend)
There have been some stellar photos of the bird taken this week!
My post about the Kiskadee last Friday has had over 300 hits.  (the most for any post ever!).

Peers Wetland is a local hot spot I check almost every day.  A few warblers have stopped by there as well.
I watch out for insects as well.

Viceroys!



Yesterday, I spotted a Red-headed Woodpecker which was  first for that location.
I always check regularly.  Last fall I found a Nelson's Sparrow there!

Yesterday evening I walked the south shore nature trail at Mitchell's Bay.  A few birds were found.



The adjacent field looked good for Buff-breasted Sandpiper (none yet reported in Chatham-Kent!) but I did not have a scope.  There were lots of Killdeer and a few American Golden Plovers.

Today, I had an itch to look for the Red-necked Phalarope at Forest Lagoons.  I headed there immediately after work.  I spotted it right away in the distance, much too distant for a photo.  Some years we see lots move through, but this year there seems to be very few around.  I missed the one at Blenheim Lagoons a while back.
There were lots of Lesser Yellowlegs (over 40), a Greater Yellowlegs, a few Pectoral and Semipalmated Sandpipers and one Least.



Lots of ducks were present, including about 100 Blue-winged Teal.



Some warblers and other passerines were in the trees near the entrance, including several Blackpoll, Yellow-rumped, Northern Parula, Magnolia, and a getting-late Yellow Warbler.



On the way home, I spotted a Common Nighthawk over Mandaumin Road north of Moore Line.  It is the time of year to see lots of those in migration.

On to another weekend.....


No comments:

Post a Comment