Monday, August 13, 2018

Weekend Report August 11-12

Saturday morning I decided to head up to Port Franks and Ipperwash.  Along the way, I stopped at Forest Lagoons.  It was very disappointing....hardly any birds.  Not even worth doing an eBird list!



I walked the Lambton Heritage Forest.  



There were no migrant warblers, but a couple of resident Hooded Warblers were still present.  As well, I came across four Acadian Flycatchers, still calling.  One I did get a good look at was a youngster.



I then walked Karner Blue Sanctuary, which was rather quiet.  I was hoping to see some Leonard's Skippers, but that was not to be.  In fact, there were very few butterflies.  They are attracted to Rough and Cylindrical Blazing Star which is fairly plentiful there.




Next walk was at Ipperwash Dunes and Swales.  It was extremely quiet for birds, but I do like checking out the place.

Cardinal Flower in a Swale


I saw  few dragonflies, including Shadow Darners.


I have been looking closer at moths lately.  There are a lot out there!

Red Twin-spot


Closer to home, I stopped by the old landfill along Sarnia's Blackwell Road.  Most if not all of the Dickcissels have left, but I did catch a glimpse of one as it flushed out of the grass.


Sunday I decided to check out Rondeau since I had not been there for a while.  I met up with Jim Burk, and we walked south point trail.  There was actually quite a few birds, including migrant warblers.
A few Blackburnian, a Bay-breasted, a Tennessee and a Blackpoll were among the early migrants. Flycatchers are moving through as well, including the couple of Yellow-bellied that we saw.

A pair of Yellow-throated Vireos were singing near the parking lot on the way back.



I stopped by Blenheim Lagoons on the way home and a few species of shorebirds were present.  A couple of early White-rumped were in the mix among the Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers.




Butterflies seem to be picking up.  A couple of Common Checkered-Skippers were at the lagoons, and I even had one in the garden when I got home.


PairaPeck's


We are well into fall migration, so stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment