Friday, July 20, 2018

Recent Happenings

We are getting into the dog days of summer, so to speak.  I have been getting in some walks, including today.  However, just like clockwork, the weather went for a crap for the weekend this afternoon.  At least we had three weekends (the only ones this year) in a row with nice weather.
I was off work early, and just got out for a walk at Reid CA, then it quickly started raining.  I thought I had time for a walk, but I was surprised just how fast the rain came.

I did manage to see at least two Dukes' Skippers in the sedge areas.





Mosquitoes nearly carried me away.  Between those and the ticks this summer, it has been a battle!

Eastern Comma


I have not seen many shorebirds yet this summer, but due to the high water levels, habitat is at a premium.  This weekend I hope to come across some shorebirds.

I recently took the plunge and signed up for iNaturalist, a community-based  website that one can post sightings of anything in nature.  You have to have a photo, and others will comment on it either positive or negative.  https://www.inaturalist.org/



I do not intend to use to the extent other fellow naturalists do, but it is a good way to get feedback on your sightings.
Some of those Dukes/Dion skippers can be tough especially if one does not get a good look at the upper sides of the wings.  I recently posted a photo of one on the Ojibway count which I suspected to be Dion, and sure enough others agreed.

Will see what happens this weekend...........(boat show in Sarnia Bay this weekend)



3 comments:

  1. I only recently tried out Inaturalist myself, but it's certainly a useful tool to brush up on various IDs.
    Have you managed to catch up with Mr and Mrs White-Winged Dove yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have not been down to Rondeau since the butterfly count. I may get to Rondeau on Sunday to look for things.

      Delete
  2. I'd suggest people be careful with iNat to check the credentials of reviewers before assuming they are correct. I have seen, for e.g. Cow Parsnip get confirmed as Giant Hogweed. On the other hand, there are some genuine experts keeping an eye on some of the classifications which is really great. And it is great to finally have an easy way to report unusual plants and insects in case anyone is trying to figure out where to see them/study them.

    I hope you will continue to post to you website, though. It's very difficult to use iNat to take a "virtual ramble" through a park or area. I've greatly enjoyed reading your articles for years.

    ReplyDelete