Saturday, July 14, 2018

Mid-July Pelee Visit

I decided to head down to Point Pelee today since I have not been there much this year.  This time of year can be interesting for birds, but more-so for butterflies.  However, it was dismal for butterflies, as most places have been this year.  (blame it on the crappy spring weather!).
Next weekend is the BioBlitz, so I hope things pick up in that department!

On the way to Pelee, I came across a Snowy Owl atop a pole along Queen's Line just west of the road to Prairie Siding.  Although I did not stop to take a photo, I believe it is the first one I have seen in July!  There are still a number of Snowy Owls spending the summer in Southern Ontario.

I spent some time at the Tip until tourists started to arrive and scaring away the birds.  Quite a few Black Terns were on the move today, and many went by the Tip.




There is even a decent sand spit and some sand on the west side!




Lots of bonies are now showing up.  Nothing unusual mixed in with them though.  I have still not seen a Little Gull this year!



After some three hours in the park, I headed over to Hillman marsh.  I walked around the shorebird cell looking for butterflies.  It was practically void of butterflies--highly unusual for this time of year.  I suppose the drought has some bearing as well.
I did find Broad-winged Skippers in a known spot.





A Dickcissel briefly sang on the path towards the cell.  It was first reported back on July 3.

Dickcissels were singing near Camper's Cove Road as usual, as I headed east. 
My next stop was Blenheim lagoons.  We are well in the midst of shorebird migration, but there is not as much habitat yet there as last year.
The sprinklers work occasionally, so that will help.
Shorebirds included 6 Least Sandpipers, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 7 Lessers, and a Short-billed Dowitcher.


The male Lesser Scaup was still present from earlier in the summer.

On the way home I swung by the Dickcissel sites behind Canadian Tire and along Campbell Line.  Males were still singing away.



No comments:

Post a Comment