Friday, March 30, 2018

Frigid Friday Frolicks

It was darn cold (again!) this Good Friday holiday.  It seems like warm spring weather will never arrive, but some birds are trickling in.  I spent the first four hours of today in Rondeau Park.
The lake was virtually dead but a few scoters were heading east.  Most appeared to be Surf.
Some Fox Sparrows were scattered about, with some on south point trail, along Lakeshore Road and in the campground.

Foxy Sparrow

Usually we see several Eastern Phoebes by this date, but I had to work really hard to get fleeting glimpses of a couple!
In warmer years, Louisiana Waterthrush is not out of the question.

Rondeau Bay was loaded with ducks as usual.  Gadwall were in big numbers.  Some wigeon were out there, but I did not spot any of the European type.

scaups


After Rondeau, I headed west knowing there would be lots to look at in Hillman Marsh.  I spent quite a bit of time at the shorebird cell.  Several Sandhill Cranes were around.


Incoming!



Close to 150 Green-winged Teal were present, but I did not see the "Common" Teal.  A few Blue-winged Teal were in as well.



I had hoped to see some early shorebirds, so I stuck around long enough to observe 3 Dunlin fly in.



Lots of Turkey Vultures were on the move today.
Tomorrow will be a tad warmer, but very windy....as usual.

M.B. Ball




No comments:

Post a Comment