Sunday, December 3, 2017

Super Moon to Townsend's Treat

Today we had some very fine weather (highly unusual for a weekend!) that was great for birding.  Rondeau and area seemed like the best destination once again today.
I was up early enough to view the "supermoon".


Rather than doing a lakewatch where things have been rather slow lately, I headed directly to south point trail.
Some birds different from yesterday included Winter Wren (3) and a Hermit Thrush.  Red-breasted Nuthatches seem to be plentiful this year (I found at least 8 today).
I did not come across the Orange-crowned Warbler from last week, which I truly believe is still around.
A few birds were around the visitor centre that kept me busy for a while.



My next stop was the campground.
Some of the usual wintering birds included Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (different one than the one I looked at yesterday), Fox Sparrows, Golden and Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Purple Finch, nuthatches, among others.  Also two Field Sparrows.



There has been a Pileated Woodpecker hanging around recently, and today was no exception.




In the north part of the campground, I found some of the wintering Yellow-rumped Warblers.  While trying to look at them (I always look for "Audubon's"!), I heard a warbler chip that I knew was good.
I heard it several times, but could not find it for a while.  What was it..........?
Townsend's Warbler!!



I always had a feeling that it would eventually make its way into the campground at some point, as its usual haunt is not far away.


Traditional "butt" shot


It worked a Red Cedar for a few minutes, than flew north a bit to site 206.  I eventually lost it, assuming it headed back to Centre Street in Bate's.



This is the first known sighting of the current bird within the provincial park.

The photos did not turn out as good as I thought, but I never took the time to set precise settings on the camera.  As well, a grape vine runner was in the way!  However, I was happy with the find.



After the campground, I checked briefly checked the maintenance area.  I met up with John Lamey who indicated he saw the Wilson's Warbler in the campground yesterday.
Hopefully, to make things interesting, these warblers stick around another two weeks for the CBC!

Before leaving the park, I met up with Steve Charbonneau who had just walked the marsh trail.  His highlights included a Virginia Rail, Common Yellowthroat and multiple Marsh Wrens.  These we would expect with the mild weather of late.

Recent Ren


Next stop was Erieau.  Yesterday a Eurasian Wigeon was seen close to the firehall.  I arrived and found it right away with a good-sized raft of American Wigeon.  The Euro duck is a guaranteed annual occurrence in these parts, and often there are two males.  Females are more difficult to pick out, so perhaps they have been around too!
A number of ducks were seen, plus a large black mass of American Coots. Perhaps up to 2000 of these black beasts were present.

I had the urge to make a quick check of McGeachy Pond dike.  Recently, a Yellow Warbler has been hanging around (I saw it two weeks ago), and it was as recently as a few days ago.
It is difficult to find (towards the west end) as it skulks in the underbrush.
Today I found a female Common Yellowthroat in that same location.  There was another bird with it, which I suspect was the Yellow Warbler.  However, they were skulking in the thick underbrush in mouse-like fashion.  I barely got a good look at the Yellowthroat, but at least enough to confirm ID.

It will be turning more seasonal later this week as cold temps and a dusting of snow arrives.  It will be interesting to see how some of these lingering birds fare as we lead up to the Christmas Bird Count season.  And, surprises are always found!

(Just kidding!)


2 comments:

  1. Hopefully the TOWA will venture a bit further south on the 17th...

    Your photos are still better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it sticks around for someone to record!

      Delete