Friday, November 18, 2016

November Breezes

It was too nice to work this afternoon, so I headed out after lunch!  I thought Perch Creek up at Sarnia would be a good place to go for a walk.  I guess it was TOO nice as there were not a lot of birds.
I came across an elusive Northern Saw-whet Owl at one point.  It will likely stay the winter as there is always one or two there every winter for some reason.



It was well-hidden and rather high, so there was not a good photo opportunity.

I also went for a short walk at Moore WMA.  Very few birds! Hopefully things will settle in for the winter, as this is a great place for birds in winter time.



I did not notice any butterflies today, but many Autumn Meadowhawks were out and about.

It was very warm today, and likely a record-breaking temperature.  It got up to 22 C at one point today!
Often unseasonably warm and breezy days this time of year are quickly followed by a sharp drop in temperature and high winds.  It looks like it will be the case this weekend!
Many of the disasters on the Great Lakes in the past have followed this exact pattern.

Today is the 58th anniversary of the sinking of the Carl D. Bradley on Lake Michigan.  There were but two survivors.
I have written about this sinking in the past as it has special connection.  The husband of my father's cousin once sailed on the vessel.  I inherited some photos which I share here.




One of my prized possessions is a painting of the Carl D. Bradley, by Jim Clary.


This weekend should prove interesting!

3 comments:

  1. Just today I re-found the Cattle Egret at Blenheim, heard an Eurasian Wigeon in Rondeau, saw the Greater White-fronted Geese near the lagoons, Heard a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher on the Erieau Marsh Trail, and observed a Harlequin Duck in Erieau. Who knows what else will show up this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had a great day. Good for you!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Blake! Hopefully you'll be able to catch up with the birds as well.

      Delete