Sunday, June 19, 2016

Wanderings of a Weekend Warrior

Saturday I decided to head to Point Pelee.  We are "in between" so to speak, so you never know what to expect at this time in June.  I had hoped to see some butterflies, but....no such luck.  Hardly any to be found on Saturday!
Upon arrival at Point Pelee, I walked to the Tip.  Just north of Sparrow Field I stopped at one spot and listened to an Ovenbird singing on the west side of the road, while on the other side of the road a Mourning Warbler was singing (both out of sight).  These two warbler species are not too common at this time of year at Point Pelee.

At the Tip, a number of gulls were resting on the sand or flying around.



No rarities, and certainly no Laughing Gull to add to the year list.



One would have thought some White Pelicans might be around with all the sightings lately, but nothing could be made into such a bird.

Eastern Kingbird


I walked back west beach trail seeing very few butterflies.  I also checked Cactus Field, north end of Tilden's and De Laurier, not to mention the beach off the Orientation parking lot.
There is quite a bit of dogbane along the beach off the parking lot highly attractive to butterflies, but it too revealed very few butterflies.

Black Swallowtail
And, I did check out marsh boardwalk where one can readily see nesting Black Terns.



Next visit was Hillman marsh shorebird cell. There is still a bit of moisture in the centre and 4 Black-bellied Plovers and 3 Dunlin were taking advantage.  Much too far for any sort of photo.



The only birders I came across were Ellen Smout and Mike Austin.

I stopped by the Sickdissel Dickcissel colony east of Wheatley to listen.  At least 3 males were singing.
I continued on to Blenheim sewage lagoons.  Notable ducks included a pair of Redhead and a male Lesser Scaup.



Sunday it was a toss-up as to where to go.  I ended up at Rondeau and met up with Jim Burk.  There is always the chance of something notable, but just resident birds were found.  A breeding-plumaged Common Loon was of note off south point trail, while a Red-breasted Nuthatch was along Harrison north of Bennet. Perhaps we will have an influx of early fall migrant Red-breasted Nuthatches. (fairly sure I heard one at Pelee yesterday as well).

Orchard Oriole


After Rondeau, I wanted to check out Clear Creek forest and went for a walk.



There are not many birds there at this time, but it was nice to walk among the large trees.




No comments:

Post a Comment