Saturday, September 19, 2015

Pelee to Blenheim September 19


Sinking Jiiman
I headed down to Point Pelee early this morning on a stiff SW wind.  It looked promising for a Tip watch, but it never panned out.  The weather was horrible, as usual for a weekend, but at least it stopped raining for the Tip Watch.  I joined Josh Vandermeulen, Todd Hagedorn, and Alan Wormington.  Most birds were rather far out.  The only gull of interest was an adult Little Gull.
Shorebirds included 10 Sanderlings at the Tip and a flock of about a dozen flyby Stilt Sandpipers (which I did not get on in time!).
There were practically no landbirds, but later on in the morning it poured rain and the wind picked up out of the west.  Just before the rain, I checked out the Cactus Trail area.  The only bird of interest was a young Red-headed Woodpecker in the dull light.



I looked around the onion fields a bit then headed over to Wheatley Harbour.  Lots of gulls there, but nothing of note.  The only shorebird was a flyby Least Sandpiper.

On to Blenheim Lagoons.
It was terribly windy there so the shorebirds present, were hugging the pond edges.  Pond 4 had several species, and I was pleasantly surprised to see a Red-necked Phalarope.



As far as I know, it is the first one there this year!  I was getting worried I would miss that species for the year, so I guess that was the highlight of the day.



Willie the Willet was still present too.  How long will it stay?



Other shorebirds included a White-rumped Sandpiper, a Baird's Sandpiper, a Solitary Sandpiper and the usual Pecs, Least Sands, Semiplovers, Semisands and both yellowlegs.



There were well over 100 Tree Swallows, but no Violet Green Swallows (lol).

Least Skipper (at lagoon gate)


On to more year birds tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment