Friday, September 18, 2015

Another Week in the Bag




Another week has quickly passed and of course the highlight was the Say's Phoebe near Blenheim yesterday.  Many people came to see the bird as it was previously lacking from their Ontario life list.  It is quite a rare bird for Ontario!
As far as I know, it was not seen today.





I did a check of Mitchell's Bay a few days ago and saw the first Snow Goose of the fall.  Probably the earliest I have seen one.  I did not have the proper camera to get a decent photo.


The only waxwing I saw was this unfortunate one!



The most common bird there was Wood Duck.  Dozens upon dozens dropped into the marsh across from the entrance to the shore trail.



Asters and goldenrods are in bloom making for some nice scenery recently.




I caught sight of this Common Painted-Lady late this afternoon.



Speaking of butterflies, several Peck's and a Tawny-edged Skipper have been at Brander Park, Port Lambton this week.  I usually see lots of Peck's there until the end of September, but certainly there are fewer of them this year due to the poor year for butterflies.
On Wednesday, I saw a Common Buckeye at Stewart Wetland during my lunch hour.  Of course it was quite red on the underwing as they are  in the fall.  It is called the rosa form.



I happened to see this colourful leafhopper in the backyard this week.  Very tiny!

Graphocephala coccenia


And, I have been checking Peers Wetland quite frequently.  This morning there was a nice sunrise before it clouded over signalling the start of a weekend.  It did clear up after lunch though.



Up to four Black-crowned Night-Herons have been hanging out there the past few weeks.  This one came into view just as I was leaving in the early morning light.



Looks like it may possibly be good for a lakewatch at Pelee's Tip Saturday early morning before the winds switch to the NW.  I may just show up there!


2 comments: