Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Sunday Tour

Sunday morning I stopped at Blenheim Lagoons.  As usual, there were far fewer birds than the previous day.  The only different shorebird from the day before was a Stilt Sandpiper.  Dowitchers were still present.




I went on to Erieau and walked the marsh trail (R/R tracks).  Soras were calling in the marsh as I looked for migrants in the trees.  The only warblers (besides Yellow) were a Magnolia and a Canada.  This trail has proven to be quite a migrant trap over the years, so it is always worth checking.


There are no bare fields in the immediate area this year to check for shorebirds unfortunately.

After stopping in Chatham, I went out to St. Clair NWA.  Presently, dyke work is being done, which will be a nice improvement. Phragmites has been sprayed, so sight lines will be much better.  The dyke is being rehabilitated which will make walking easier.

Another Bobolink!


While there, some Great Egrets were roosting.  This site has shown to be a good roosting site for the species.  There is always a good chance of finding a Snowy Egret.  Years ago, I did find one among dozens of egrets!
Three Sandhill Cranes got out of the marsh during my visit.  Here are two of them.



Across the road is a bare field with lots of mud and water.  It is certainly excellent for shorebirds, but I could only pick out Black-bellied Plover, Lesser Yellowlegs and Solitary Sandpiper among the Killdeer.



A couple more Sandhill Cranes were in the field as well.



There are a few muddy fields in the area well-worth checking.

Locally, it has been a very quiet week so far!  I have been busy dealing with my old boat for the last week. It has been out of the water for almost four years, so I thought it was time to get it going again.
It is For Sale by the way!

(old photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment