Saturday, August 29, 2015

Rondeau Revue August 29

Down at Rondeau this morning, my first stop was Dog Beach.  There were lots of gulls and terns, but not quite as many as last week.



I did not see anything of note and just as I was heading back to the car, a Great Egret came in.  It is not often we see one in the park.



I walked south point trail, but I would have been better off going somewhere else!  There were very few warblers, but millions of mosquitoes.  It was actually almost unbearable at times!  The only warbler I did ID was a a Cape May.
The lake was somewhat active, and I spotted a Common Loon heading east at one point.

After quickly walking back to the car, I made another stop at Dog Beach.  Many gulls and terns were on the beach to the south, so I got a little closer.



I was out there quite some time, as there was a lot of activity.  It took some time, but finally a juvenile Little Gull made an appearance.



Soon, another joined it, and they played around together.



They certainly stand out due to the amount of black on them.



A check of tulip tree trail revealed nothing but a Gray-cheeked/Swainson's Thrush.  I never got a good look.
Next stop was the north end of Harrison Trail.  It was not until I got a bit past the log pond that I came across a very nice pocket of warbler.  There were 14 species here!



As  I walked back to the car, I spotted a young Red-headed Woodpecker.



After lunch I headed over to Blenheim lagoons.  There was a good number of shorebirds in the sprinklers.  I saw 3 Baird's Sandpipers, 4 Stilt Sandpipers, 1 White-rumped Sandpiper, 2 Short-billed Dowitchers, among the other common species.



Very few ducks were around today.  I never saw one on the lake this morning!

frog on wood

No comments:

Post a Comment