Friday, July 3, 2015

Insects Around Duthill (Friday)

I headed up to the Duthill area after work today to take a walk.  First stop was at Reid CA south of Duthill, for a quick walk.  Lots of Banded Hairstreaks were seen, but no other hairstreaks.



Edwards' from Tuesday


Just in from the gate, I caught sight of a Dukes's Skipper, but it did not stop for a photo.  More should be coming out this week.

Fresh Question Mark


Up at McKeough CA west of Duthill, I checked out some milkweed patches.  There is lots of Common Milkweed this year, but there are rather few butterflies right now.  We are in between many broods I guess!

Monarch cateprillar
Where are the Monarchs?  I think I have only seen 2 or 3 this year!

Swamp Milkweed is more scarce this year than in the past, at least in my area.  It is very good for attracting butterflies.


Delaware Skipper
Eastern Tailed-blue


Dragonflies are rather few too.  I walked through the diversion channel from Callahan Road to the the river but did not come across any until near the river.  Just a few very common things.

Twelve-spotted Skimmer
Blue Dasher
Widow Skimmer
Common Whitetail


Looks like a good weather weekend coming up...I hope!  It may turn out to be the best one so far this year.  I will be lost if I do not see rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment