Tuesday, May 12, 2015

More May Madness

Osprey


Early Saturday I headed back to Rondeau Park.  Some new birds were in, but it was somewhat slow.  Seems like every other day is slow!  The afternoon was rather hot and the birds were scarce.
Two Osprey on south point trail were the highlight there in the early morning light.

At the north end of the park, we encountered the Yellow-breasted Chat again.  The area of the start of marsh trail was good early in the day.



After seeing the Chat, we went around the corner and spotted a Summer Tanager.  One was seen the day before in this area.



We saw two Hooded Warblers at maintenance, one being very co-operative at the fence.



Around mid-day, I discovered a Clay-colored Sparrow at the picnic area across from the churches.
Always a good spot for them!



The lake was once again dead, but in the afternoon I ventured out along the beach south of the light beacon.  I encountered some shorebirds including Black-bellied Plovers, Short-billed Dowitchers, Semipalmated Plovers and Sanderlings.

In the evening, I went with Steve and Mac on our annual trek out the marsh trail.  We went a little earlier than usual, so we probably missed some things.  For example, no rails!  A storm was brewing in the west so we went out early just in case.  Turns out it missed us, but it looked scary in the distance!
We did get Sedge Wrens out by Long Pond, which is farther than usual.  Perhaps habitat has changed in the traditional spots.
We saw our third White-eyed Vireo of the day out the trail in a usual spot.

Saturday ended listening to Whip-poor-wills.

Sunday we found some pockets of warblers.  Tulip tree trail was good, and south of maintenance along Harrison Trail.  The Prothonotary was once again at log pond.




In early afternoon I headed over to Wheatley P.P. for two nights camping.  I did some birding in the woods near the lake and found several species of warblers and vireos.  A Red-headed Woodpecker was also there.
For the first time in many years of camping there, I heard no rails.  One must wonder where they are!
As well, I heard no Whip-poor-wills from my campsite.
However, during the night around 3 a.m., I distinctly heard a Yellow-billed Cuckoo sing a couple of times.  I am a very light sleeper, so nothing gets by me!

Late in the day I went to Hillman.  About a dozen Short-billed Dowitchers were among other things.  Jean Iron was there and I picked up a copy of her new shorebird book.

Early Monday morning I headed down to Point Pelee.  There was some reverse migration off the Tip including many Indigo Buntings, tanagers, Bobolinks, etc.  One highlight was an imm. male Summer Tanager.  A couple of Red-throated Loons were seen over the lake as well.

I left after almost 2.5h there so that others could see the flyby White-faced Ibis.  It appears that is may be the same bird that showed up at Blenheim late in the day!

I headed up west beach trail to look at the Kirtland's Warbler.  Been a while since I have seen one. As usual, it was a zoo, so I never got a good photo.



I bounced around the park the rest of the day and only added Mourning Warbler new for the year.

Afternoon Mourning

Tilden's Screech


Hillman was a bust in the evening, with the only highlight being a distant Wormington/Lamond sighting.

Today, Tuesday, I once again headed straight to the Tip.  Highlight was a California Gull--one I have been wanting at Pelee for some time!




Later, I checked Hillman for the reported Glossy Ibis, but it seemed to be hidden at the back. I may have seen it at first look, but could not find it again to be sure.

The day ended at Mitchell's Bay.  The end of Angler Line was active with birds, but extremely windy.  The reported White Pelicans were mainly elusive, but some would show at times--putting together all the reports.  I saw three at one point early afternoon.  Apparently they were there yesterday May 1.  Photos were taken by a non-birder, as usual!

I went out again early this evening, but did not pick out any. I saw everything but!  Yellow-headed Blackbirds seem to be in the marsh beside the Lozon house now.  Common Gallinule was out there, Great Egret, Great Blue, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Mute Swans, ducks, gulls and terns.  Lance and Faye Allin were there on their way to Pelee.

Last night was crystal clear, but very windy.  I got up about 3 a.m. to look out and it was the clearest night I have seen in a while.


1 comment: